Friday, June 12, 2009

Pork with Filipino Barbeque Sauce

Last night we enjoyed watching our daughter in her first school play. How fun is that? It's one of the pleasures of parenting, watching your child up on the stage, having a blast and getting lots of attention. My daughter was so excited that she willed the stomach flu away in 12 hours so she could be in school for the day of the play. Now that's amazing. The power of the mind people.

There are two ways I really enjoy meat- on a stick and in a dumpling. Everyone else seems to as well as it disappears REAL fast. Why is that?

Filipino Barbecue Skewers
recipe from Serious Eats

marinade:

1 cup Coke
1 cup brown sugar
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup ketchup
1/8 cup lemon juice
6 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

4 lbs of pork shoulder or chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch cubes
Metal skewers or wooden skewers, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes before use.

Place all marinade ingredients in a medium saucepan and whisk to combine. Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.

Marinate in the regrigerator, preferably over night. Broil or grill, turning as it browns. Baste as desired.

11 comments:

chow and chatter said...

yummy have you seen Jenns blog Bread and Butter she is filipino you will like it, they look wonderful and thats great about your daughter getting better lol

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks wonderful. I'm glad your daughter made it to her play. It would have been a shame to miss it.

Lucy..♥ said...

How wonderful that your daughter was able to be in her play, the joys!!

This pork looks amazing, the BBQ sauce sounds so good!!!

kat said...

A lot of great flavors in that sauce

grace said...

coke and brown sugar? it already sounds good. lovely hunks of pig, too. :)
so is your daughter a star in the making?

The Blonde Duck said...

How wonderful! I bet that was fun!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

LOL, that's funny about your daughter. Glad she was feeling well enough! :)

I didn't know I loved Filipino food until I hired a young Filipino girl (Karolyn, she's the best!) to babysit, tutor, and nanny my three children. Besides taking wonderful care of my children she has brought over flavorful foods that her family has made. We love when her family has a party. We fast the day the before. :)
Oops, got a little off track....this sounds delish! Thanks for sharing!
~ingrid

Donna-FFW said...

LOVE the sound of this marinade and the pork looks delicious. Yay foryour daughter, bet she was wonderful in the play!

Murasaki Shikibu said...

This is wonderful Lori. It brings back memories of my childhood as I grew-up in the Philippines and I used to have these all the time. :)

Sean said...

I had my pork fest this weekend (ribs, and shredded pork) but I could totally go for some of these! Sounds tasty!

Jude said...

I'm filipino and I've never even tried making this. The shame. Gonna have to do something about that :)