Thursday, June 18, 2009

Rhubarb Strawberry Sauce over Frozen Yogurt

Yesterday we had a glorious day for picking strawberries. The skies were overcast and it was about 72 degrees. And the strawberry plants were loaded. Strawberries, red and plump pulling down the branches with their juicy weight. Honestly, I don't think I had to move for than ten feet to pick a flat of strawberries (9 quarts). How nice is that? It took all of a half of an hour.

As we were walking out I spied a huge clump of chamomille. You know I have been looking for chamomille for two years now. Chamomille likes rocky areas and it always seems to be around farms. For some reason I just never found it. Until yesterday that is, I hit the jackpot. I filled a grocery bag with the weed. After plucking all the heads off I ended up with two cups of buds!

I love ice cream. If there were only two foods in the world- ice cream and popcorn I would be completely satisfied.

Vanilla Frozen Yogurt

1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup of Lyles Golden Syrup (could use corn syrup instead)
32 oz Greek style yogurt
1 1/2 cups sugar
the seeds of one vanilla bean

Stir all ingredients together and refrigerate for four plus hours. I did overnight. Pour ingredients into you ice cream maker and follow the manufacturers instructions.

Strawberry Rhubarb Vanilla Sauce

4 cups strawberries
4 cups rhubarb, chopped
1 cup sugar
juice of one lemon
Vanilla pod

In a large pot combine rhubarb, strawberries, lemon and sugar. Cook until rhubarb is tender. Add vanilla pod and let cool. Remove pod and blend mixture into a puree.

Here's a list of the ways I have used the mixture:

  • Over cottage cheese
  • in my tea, both hot and iced
  • over pancakes or waffles
  • drizzled over crepes that have cottage cheese in them
  • as a base for a sherbet


7 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

Your sauce has such gorgeous color. Wouldn't it be nice if there were a lipstick in these tones?

Shelly said...

We went out for dinner a few nights ago and hubby ordered the roast pork that was served with a similar sauce...it was yummy! I made a mental note to find a recipe for rhubarb strawberry sauce and here you are! How thoughtful of you ;)

grace said...

what an exquisite sauce! the brilliant red color contrasting against the pure white of the yogurt is just lovely. :)

kat said...

Great sounding sauce, just perfect for the season

test it comm said...

The strawberry rhubarb sauce would go great on freshly made frozen yogurt! It looks so good!

Murasaki Shikibu said...

I love frozen yogurt. I like it even more than ice cream. :)

Unknown said...

Absolutely full of sinfulness, mouth watering.

Signature: Looking for premium natural vanilla beans at a bargain? Drop by at www.myvanillashop.com for top quality vanilla beans at a best value.