Tuesday, June 9, 2009

SEEDED CIABATTA



Tell me if I sound like a Mom who is scared to death about the prospect of her kid being out of school, home with the other kid (terrible three-er), fighting, kicking punching, screaming, crying... Oh God. I am sorry I just passed out. Anyway. What to do? Schedule, schedule, schedule. I don't mean shove them away in camps all summer long. But schedule activites, make a focus. Give them something to correct their behavoir for. I am not an expert here just someone who is in the lake, searching for something buoyant to hold on to. Goodness gracious. Maybe it sounds a little OCD'ish but as much as I would love to wear the happy-free-lovin'-hippy-hat. It just ain't me. I need a lot more meditation for that. Really. That's like taking a Corvette and making it go at mo-ped speed. Mo-ped speed is good, it saves on heart attacks and strokes. I am workin' on it. Really.
My three year old, who was found napping at the top of a long staircase.

Anyway here's the gist.

I made a calendar on a big sheet of paper for July and August. Top part for them to color in.

I made an index card with a list of activities: craft day; library day; bake or make a meal day; away activity; and a clean and hang out day/aka free choice day.
I color coated these choices.

On index cards I wrote ideas for each of these activities, ie. Away Activities- beach, zoo, museum, train day.

On Sunday I drew big eyes looking over the week. Sunday will be the day we decide which activity we will do for what day.

Each day we'll have a word of the day, a letter and a number. My oldest will teach my youngest the letter and number. I will teach my oldest the word.

After lunch, there will be story time for a half an hour, followed by a rest period. Whew, Thank God- had to work that in somewhere.

And there will be the gym everyday of the week. Why? Because people I have to keep my sanity. The sauna can work wonders for my busy self.

What do yah think? Are those buoys or what?

SEEDED CIABATTA
Based on the original recipe which can be found here.

Seed/Grain mixture
2 tablespoons sesame seed
2 tablespoons poppy seed
2 tablespoons flax seeds (ground)
2 tablespoons nigella seeds
2 tablespoons oat bran
2 tablespoons wheat bran
2 tablespoons wheat germ

500g bread flour
475g (~2 cups) water
2 tsp. yeast
15g salt

In a mixer combine all ingredients roughly till combined with paddle, let it rest for 10 minutes.
Add seed/grain mixture. With the paddle , beat the batter, 10 to 30 minutes it will set up and work like a very sticky dough. if it starts climbing too soon, then switch to the hook. You'll know it's done when it separates from the side of the bowl and starts to climb up your hook/paddle and just coming off the bottom of the bowl.
Place into a well oiled container and let it triple.
Empty on to a floured counter, cut into 3 or 4 pieces. Spray with oil and dust with flour. Let them proof for about 45 minutes, and turn the oven up to 500F.
After 45 minutes or so the loaves should be puffy. Pick up the dough and stretch into your final ciabatta shape (~10" oblong rectangle) and flip them upside down (this redistributes the bubbles, so you get even bubbles throughout), and onto parchment or a heavily floured peel. This is not easy but have faith, they will be just fine.
Bake at 500F until they are 205F in the center (about 15-20 minutes), rotating 180 degrees half way through.

Have you ever seen Vincent make ciabatta. I just love him. Check him out.

11 comments:

kat said...

Seems like a good way to keep a little sanity during the school vacation

chow and chatter said...

wow u sound like a great mom love the ciabatta

Mary Bergfeld said...

You're still going to go crazy :-). Your summer activities are great and show a lot of thought. When mine were the age of yours I would grin a lot....I did everything the books said I should do, but the kids never read the books.

Marta said...

Sounds like you've got the summer break under control!! It's all about being organised and creative to make the summer months go smoothly :)
The little ones in my house are fond of staircase napping as well ;)
Lovely ciabatta, nice and rustic!

Lori said...

Kat- I am hoping!

Chow and Chatter- Nope, not great just trying real hard to be average!

Mary- Ha ha. Wouldn't it be great if they came with instructions that we could read and they could too. Again I wish we could sit down for coffee and I bet you would have a lot of sage advice.

Marta- what exactly is the draw for the stairs? I just don't get it. Is it like a cat?

grace said...

ha! i love the picture of your gal wiped out asleep. :) i'm also loving this bread--it's absolutely chock-full of good stuff!

Murasaki Shikibu said...

lol...that photo your kid sleeping near the stairs is funny. :)))

And your ciabattas look absolutely lovely!

Sheila said...

I love ciabatta bread and have never made so thanks for the recipe!

It sounds like you have your summer under control. I completely agree that you need to keep the little ones busy, just don't forget to include some activities that they can do without too much of your involvement. You'll need a break:)

Lucy..♥ said...

Great plan for the little ones. How cute is the little one sleeping ;-) and .... awesome ciabatta!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Hey, can you watch my three for me? The twins are going to be 13 and play very nicely with other children. They can also help keep and eye on them. My youngest is 10and as long as you keep her away from Jalen things will go well. She too plays nicely with younger children.

Good luck Lori!
~ingrid

Btw, I love that photo of your youngest sleeping on the floor. I found one of twins sleeping with only his head & chest on my bed. His feet were still planted on the floor. I left him alone and about a half hour later he was still sleeping but had one knee bent up on the bed like he was trying to climb up! HILARIOUS! Loser Mom I should have taken a photo!

chocolatecup said...

those are definitely buoys! hope i would have half as much sanity as you when i become a mom! which is not anytime soon! hehe. my mum didnt really have schedules for us when we were kids but maybe it would have helped her maybe? i think we drove her crazy enough to say that she was running away to the woods and never coming back! oh well. four monikers= definite crazy time