Thursday, June 4, 2009

Toronto Day Trippin'

I haven't posted in a while. We had company for the past couple weeks. My Aunt and cousin stayed for a week or so after my Dad's Birthday celebration. It was so nice having them here. I use to live with my cousin in Arizona. I miss her immensely. She is a friend as well as a cousin. We had a great visit. One of the days they were here we headed up to Toronto for the day. The last time I was in Toronto was five years ago! A long time for someone who use to go up there quite frequently. Funny enough I went with them five years ago.
I love to eat in Chinatown when I am in Toronto because the food there is amazingly delicious and pretty authentic. We had Vietnamese at a place called, Pho Hung it is located at 350 Spadina Avenue. I had the dish above. After I received my meal, I must have had a perplexed look on my face. The owner, or at least the one who seemed to be in charge, came over and asked if I knew how to eat the food and could he help me. I gratefully accepted as I certainly didn't want to look like an American doofus. The table next to us had a Vietnamese family who were watching me as I got my lesson. They nodded approvingly.

(Inside the pancake was mung bean sprouts, shrimp and chunks of beef. The egg itself was crispy and delicious.)

I also had Wonton soup. I would like to rename it the "WOW-alicious Wonton Soup". The broth was so oniony and rich. I asked our waitress if it was onion broth, she said no, chicken. But it tasted like onion, velvety onion. So tastey. I could literally have a bowl of the broth everyday for lunch.
My cousin had this dish. The green roll type things are seasoned beef wrapped in .... ? well we really dont know what it was. It's not spinach. It did not have a lot of taste, the leaf anyway.

My Aunt had spring rolls. I didnt take a pic but they were good but then they are always good. I never get them because I make them at home and they always seem to be very pricey.

I loved this restaurant and hope to return to Toronto soon to get some more of that "wow-alicious oniony wonton soup".

7 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

Huh! Those green things look interesting!

Screamin' Mama said...

I love Vietnamese food! I usually have something like what your cousin ordered but with pork chop and a fried spring roll. I may be biased but I also believe the food in Toronto is amazing!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Lori, the food looks fantastic and sounds incredible. I'm so glad you had a good time with your visitors.

grace said...

i really want to cross the border and check out some canadian eats. great photos. :)

kat said...

Toronto is one of my favorite cities. I haven't been in so long since I don't live close anymore

Unknown said...

hmmm, that soup really looks great. Those wonton dumplings looks like they were perfection.

sara/imafoodblog.com

Murasaki Shikibu said...

I wish we had more authentic Asian restaurants around here. As it is, I have to make everything myself every time I get cravings and sometimes it takes a while before I can manage to buy all the ingredients... Oh, well mustn't complain. Getting Mediterranean ingredients here is EASY. But still, I guess we want it all? :)