Thursday, August 13, 2009

QUICK and DELICIOUS DESSERT

We had a friend over for dinner the other night, our last time seeing him before he becomes a married man. I am so excited for him. He is such a nice fellow and I love that he is always so positive and hopeful. It's kind of contagious when you are around him. He has a very long trip to India this weekend. My husband and I would so love to go. There will be 2000 people at his wedding. No that is not a typo for 200, I really meant 2000. He said it is not uncommon in India to have so many people.

I made him dinner and would love to show you a picture but you will have to wait until the next time I make it. It was so gobbled up by all of us. But I do have a pic of dessert to share.

You know I was so focused on making the main meal that I forgot to make something for dessert. I know probably most of you have made these but in case there is someone out there who has missed out, these are a must try for you. They come together very quickly.

Saltine Cracker Toffee

21 plus Saltine crackers
2 sticks real butter
1 cup sugar
12 oz. real milk chocolate chips

Line a cookie sheet with foil, making sure there are no holes or cracks. If you overlap foil just make sure it is sealed. Cover entire bottom of pan with whole saltines, letting foil extend up sides of pan. For three minutes, boil butter and sugar. Pour over crackers. Bake for 5 minutes at 400 degrees. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top and allow to soften in oven. Remove from oven and spread chocolate evenly. Let cool and harden. Peel foil off and break candy into pieces.

18 comments:

chow and chatter said...

wow the dessert looks harder than that oh yeah Indian weddings are huge I had two one in Scotland and one in India there were 1000 at that one, most folks my hubby didn't know
I think its very laid back folks juts show up! that was hard when we were planning the UK one!

Rebecca

Mary Bergfeld said...

I've never made this dessert, Lori. I'll have to give it a try.

grace said...

i'm all-too-intimately-familiar with this treat, lori. it alone has added more bulk to my body than anything else. scrumptious.

Debbie said...

Looks delicious! I'd love to try that.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I do believe that it's also been called crack. LOL! I've made it but with graham crackers.

2000 guests? WOW!
~ingrid

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Lori....when you said Knoxville you meant Tennessee, right?! Well, I'm in the Sunshine State the land where Mickey rules. I'm in Florida. Now if you're coming to FL we must find a moment to get together. If you're going to TN then alas you'll just have to send me a t-shirt, okay an email. :)
~ingrid

Lori said...

C and C- I wonder what it is like having so many people.

Mary- kids absolutely love it. Maybe your Grands would like it.

Grace- It really is addicting, isnt it?

Debbie0 it is delicious.

Ingrid-- my husband calls all chocolate- crack. too funny.

Selba said...

I believe I would love it if I try it :)

I always eat crackers with peanut butter and strawberry jam or chocolate sprinkles, it's heavenly :)

giz said...

This is really one of my favourite easy to make confection type desserts. I make them with matzoh crackers and they're spectacular.
2000 people at a wedding - OMG - how do you ever get around to say hello to everyone???

Katy ~ said...

I've only had this on a Christmas cookie tray that someone gave me. This IS very good indeed!

Lucy..♥ said...

Oooh my Lori, this is so dangerous! and seriously too easy to put together... heavenly anytime ;-)

LittleRed said...

I haven't had those in years! They look so very deliciuos:)

Lisa said...

I used to make these years ago, but mine NEVER came out as lovely and gourmet looking as yours! They were messy shards of melting toffee and chocolate..but still tasty! I think it's time I make these again...in hopes they look as pretty as yours this time!

Anonymous said...

This is a favorite around passover, when I make it with matzah. So simple and downright addictive!

The Blonde Duck said...

That looks so lovely! I love how it's so quick!

Murasaki Shikibu said...

I wish I could have some of these today as my birthday treat...

stephchows said...

ooo I make these at christmas time to give with gifts, everyone LOVES it!

Bugaboo said...

I started making this at Christmas of last year; makes a great holiday present to give to others and it's SO tasty! :o)