Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Paper Chef: August


Bloggersville is just filled with all kinds of cooking and baking groups. I like that. With many choices you can pick a group that is perfect for you or you can start your own. Which is what Temperance and I did for Recipes to Rival. While I love our group, Paper Chef offers a unique experience than a lot of the other baking groups. Basically, you just stop by for any given month, see what the ingredients are for that month and create a dish with those ingredients. You can participate as little or as much as you like.

I haven't done Paper Chef in quite some time. I was glad to see this months pick- couscous, chilies, peaches and rosemary. Good choice Javaholic. I am very pleased with how this dish came out. Very tastey and I actually would make it again.

Rosemary Scented Toasted Israeli Cous Cous Timbales with Chili Peach Sauce
Lori's Lipsmacking Goodness

1/2 pound Israeli Cous Cous
2 cups chicken broth
2 sprigs rosemary
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
s and p
3 ounces Empire Jack cheese or some other nice melting cheese, grated
1 egg
1/2 cup parsley
1/2 cup sliced green onion
1 cup cooked broccoli, chopped small

Sauce:
1/2 heavy cream
1 cup peach puree
1/2 of an anaheim chili
s and p

In a saucepan melt butter and let brown, add cous cous and rosemary and cook in butter until the cous cous is toasted. Meanwhile, heat the chicken broth. Add the chicken broth and salt and pepper when the cous cous has become a little toasted. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes, until the cous cous becomes tender. Drain. Set aside.

In a large bowl whisk egg a little- add cheese, parsley and green onion. Mix in couscous and broccoli. Pour into sprayed muffin tins or ramekins. Bake at 350F for about fifteen to twenty minutes, depending on the size of your pan. You want to see it pulling away from the sides a little. Remove and let cool.

While the cous cous timbales are baking make the sauce. In a heavy bottomed sauce pan heat cream with a chunk of chili until it is just about to boil. Remove from heat, cover and let cool. Remove the chile after the mixture has cooled. In a blender, puree about two or three peaches. Add the heavy cream.

14 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

Sounds like a great group.. dontcha love recipes you would actually make again? Sounds delicious!!

kat said...

What a great use of the ingredients

Lucy..♥ said...

Lori, I'm just loving these ingredients. I wish I had the time for those wonderful groups, they open the door to some wonderful recipes that one might overlook.

The Blonde Duck said...

Paper chef sounds like a cool concept!

Katy ~ said...

Yummm...what an intersting combinatin of ingredients. It sounds totally fascinating.

grace said...

wow--that's most definitely an elegant and sophisticated name for a dish, and sounds like it deserves the respect! bravo!

amycaseycooks said...

I love little bites like this! They look like they would make a great appetizer.

Nancy Cook said...

I just wanted to let you know that it is always a treat to click on your blog and hear that music start. Love it!

Anonymous said...

I've never had anything like this. Yummy looking!

Teanna DiMicco said...

I have never heard of paper chef, but I must check it out? What did you mold the timbales with? It looks awesome!

Lori said...

Teanna- I use a mini muffin tin but I did do one big one with a tuna can. I didnt picture it though.

Unknown said...

What a fabulous dish you created, seems like it has a nice balance of richness and freshness. I really like Israeli cous cous.

sara/imafoodblog.com

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Great entry, Lori! :)

I'm not very good at using fruit in cooking because I really love eating them just as they are. You on the other hand are a master at this. ;)

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious! Could you taste the rosemary once the sauce was on the timbales? My rosemary got lost and I'm trying to figure out what it takes to get it noticed over the peaches and chiles.