Sunday, August 9, 2009

Scones



I was thinking the other day that so many people here in NY love going to Florida for the winter. No offense, cause Florida is nice, but I am more of a Cape Cod kinda girl. It doesn't matter whether its bathing suit or sweater weather, it's my kind of place.

I think it's the Cape Cod in the title that made me want to try these scones. Or maybe it was the copious amount of heavy cream. In either case, so glad I did because these really are great scones. I ended up tweaking the recipe a bit. I have made them three times. I added a little vanilla and a little more cream. I found the batter was a little too dry with 1 1/4 cups so I went with 1 1/2. I have been having them for breakfast. The kids love them. And forget what you heard about scones being dry- these are not. These are moist and delicious. The key is to not overbake. The recipe says 15 to 17 minutes. Go for the fifteen. Even if it is a little doughy in the center it will be very moist.

Cape Cod Scones
Original recipe can be found here, at Serious Eats

2 cups all-purpose flour, measured after sifting
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups heavy cream

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees with the rack in center position. The scones will bake on a ungreased heavy-duty baking sheet.

In a medium-size mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Use a table fork to mix well. Dribble the cream over the dry ingredients while mixing with the fork. Continue mixing gently just until the mixture forms a rough, sticky ball of dough.

Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface, sprinkle lightly with flour, knead 10 times by pushing the half closer to you down and away from you with the heel of your hand and fold it back over itself, giving it a quarter turn each time.

Pat the dough into a 9-inch disk. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, until the top is golden brown. Cut into wedges after cooling for about five or ten minutes.

Serve warm with curd or jamhmmmmmmmm.



11 comments:

Katy ~ said...

Some scones are definitely better than others; I definitely do not like the ones that are biscuit-like. If that were the case, I'd just eat a biscuit!

I love Cape Cod as well and this delicious look recipe would have prompted me to bake these as well. They look delish! Well done!!

Justin said...

i love simple, classic desserts like these. i know bloggers often love to do the crazy stuff with ornate decoration, but a great scone is tough to beat

Barbara Bakes said...

The look really moist and not dry like other scones! Perfect with a little orange marmalade for me!

kat said...

Its really hard to find a perfect scone recipe so bravo to you for finding one you love

Lucy..♥ said...

Love, love scones and they gotta good, and this looks moist and a perfect pairing would be with one of your fabulous jams that you make! ;-)

I also love the Cape, and hoping to get up there after the crowds leave soon.

Robin said...

Lori this looks like the perfect scone recipe. I get many good recipes off of serious eats, they have some great posts there. Zuzu is a nickname for my middle child Deven. All my kids have nicknames that are just silly. Maybe Zuzu was in my mind from It's a Wonderful Life when I gave it to him! I sometimes call him Ding-ding too! My oldest is Doots short for Dooty Doots. Daelyn, my youngest has a string of nicknames that she will hate us for later in life- Stinklicious, Stinkarella, Stinkarama, Tooticus, Littleness, Cutiekins, Thumbalina or Thumba for short, and so forth. I think the stink/toot names began from her older brothers remembering her stinky diapers! As much as our kids may fuss over a nickname they get very mad if we wrongfully call the other by their nickname- they say "hey that is MY nickname." My dad is the king of making up nicknames and me and my brother had a bunch as well as our kids do too from him. Some are hysterical! Do you all do the nickname thing?

Bunny said...

OMG they look terrific Lori! I have to try scones again, I tried them once and they were awful! Now if you had the mind to could you add fruit to these, like blueberries, which I just so happen to have an abundance of....

Murasaki Shikibu said...

If I keep reading your blog I'll never lose the extra weight I put on... I've had a stiff neck for about a week now and this book on chiropractics tell me this is a result of eating too much! :P

Lori said...

Murasaki- I am really fat and dont have neck cramps : ) I think exercise, pillows, and posture are more the culprits. I wish I had your mind set for gaining weight or not gaining weight. I wouldnt be as heavy as I am, eh?

Lynn said...

Yum, these look so good. I heart scones :) With cream in 'em -- ooh, I'll bet that's great.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

LOL, hey you bad mouthing FL? I'd like to go to NY for the winter. So much nicer not that FL is nice but come on swimming in December? Short and flip flops for the holidays?

I've yet to bake a scone. I've made the dough (& froze it) but not baked it. It's probably bad by now.