Thursday, February 11, 2010

Cinnamon Swirl Bread

For all you carb loving, deprived of sunshine people, this is the bread for you. You know you want it. Go on now - make it.

I am off to my cake decorating class people! I have to do something to stop playing these darn computer games that I am totally addicted to.

Cinnamon Swirl Bread
Recipe provided by a fellow college counselor where I did my internship. Thanks C. This recipe has provided me with years of breakfast goodness.

1 tablespoon dry yeast ( about one envelope) dissolved in a 1/4 cup warm water
2 cups milk, heated enough to melt shortening
1/3 cup honey
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup shortening or margerine
5 cups unbleached flour
1 cup wheat bran
(or you can do 6 cups unbleached flour or 3 cups unbleached and 3 cups whole wheat- I have done it all these ways and had a good result)

combine the following for the filling:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Let yeast get bubbly. Combine hot milk, honey, salt and shortening. Cool to lukewarm. Stir in 2 cups of flour and beat well. Add yeast and mix. Add enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough. Turn out and knead for about five minutes until dough is a smooth ball. Place in greased bowl, cover and let double- about 1 1/2 hours.

Divide dough into two. Working with one piece at a time, roll out into a 15 x 7 rectangle. Spritz with water and sprinkle with half the sugar and cinnamon mixture. Roll dough and pinch ends and sides together. Repeat with remaining dough. Place rolls in two, greased 9 x 5 loaf pans. Cover and let rise until double.

Bake at 400F for about 35 minutes. Remove from pans immediately and allow to cool on a wire rack.

Place a kitchen towel over the bread while cooling for a soft crust. Do not cover if you want a more crisp crust.

Now you have two loaves, one to share (or you can absolutely hoard it because its that good).

13 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

Lori I have been craving my chocolate like something wicked. Not bread so much (thank goodness as I'm dieting long term). I have to admit I do love a good cinnamon muffin once in a while with a hot latte, so I think I should save this recipe.

Barbara Bakes said...

I would definitely love this bread toasted up and slathered with butter!

Anonymous said...

My kids will definitely like this. Cinnamon is their favorite flavor! Thanks for sharing this recipe.
dining room tables

grace said...

oh, i definitely want it. by the slice, slathered with apple butter, toasted, french toasted--i'll take it any which way. :)

chow and chatter said...

oh wow awesome bread my hubby would love it
Happy Valentines lol Rebecca

kat said...

I want some french toast made out of this!

The Blonde Duck said...

I need some of this bread in my life.

hungryandfrozen said...

Lori this bread sounds amaaaazing. Even though it's high summer right now in New Zealand the weather in my city is absolutely hopeless and homemade cinnamon bread would be perfect. Except I'd replace the margarine with butter :) Hope you enjoy your cake decorating class - sounds fun!

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

You BET I want this!!! It looks moist and awesome!!!

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Oh Lori some delights u have posted here since i last hopped by....this cinnamon swirled bread is so so so so perfect...............

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Did ya think of me when you blogged about this bread?! It sounds like something that would be a hit my my cinnamon lovin' house!

Happy Valentine's Day, Lori!
~ingrid

Michele said...

This is a beautiful loaf of bread! I pretty much love anything with cinnamon.

Thank you for participating in the Daring Cooks this month. Your mezze looks so delicious and I think it's neat that you had a "rainbow night". And it is true--everything was so colorful!

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Oh, damn, Lori. This sounds really good.