Monday, March 29, 2010

Bistro French Lentil Soup


Today is foggy and gray- I just can't seem to get myself motivated.  I have prolific laundry needing to be attended to, cleaning, organizing to do and here I sit.   I think I am coming down with something.  A perfect day for a soup like this.

French lentils are not so easy to find at least around here.  If you can find them, buy them.  They hold their shape quite nicely- making them perfect for soups and salads.

Bistro French Lentil Soup
adapted from Williams Sonoma (catalogue)

1 cup cooked French green
2 tsp olive oil
1 med yellow onion, finely diced
2 cups fresh freens such as spinach or arugula, stemmed
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp grated lemon zest
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth


In a large pot over medium-high heat, combine lentils with 3 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 min. Drain and set aside.

In a soup pot over medium heat, saute onion and garlic in olive oil, stirring occasionally, until golden, 6-8 min. Add arugula or spinach and cook, stirring, 2 min. more. Add lentils, cumin, lemon zest, broth and 2 cups water. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 15 min. Add salt to taste.

6 comments:

Mary said...

It looks very restorative, Lori. The WS recipes are really quite good. I hope you're not coming down with anything serious. It would be very bad luck to be sick for the holiday. Blessings...Mary

grace said...

how very fiber-ful and yummy! here's hoping your immune system defeats whatever's creeping up on you!

Katy ~ said...

Lori, that soup looks so good and healthful I am sure you will feel better in no time.

Hugs. I am glad you are giving yourself such good care.

Me, Myself and Pie said...

Looks really yummy! Love your dishes, too, by the way.

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you feel better soon. =)

kat said...

Yum, we bought some French lentils while in San Francisco & have been enjoying them as a salad. Now I want to do soup

bittersweetblog said...

Despite a full winter of soups and stews, this one still has my mouth watering. I can never pass up a good lentil soup!

Related Posts with Thumbnails