Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Daring Cooks: Canning


I almost forgot... what a dork.  I have my Daring Cook challenge to post.  Good gats!  I have been away from the computer a lot.  A very good thing but a bad thing for my blog because it needs attention.  I am taking a quilting class and it is taking a great deal of time.  You know, things like picking fabrics (love that part and I really need to stop that now), sewing, reading, and piecing.  Fun! I hope to post my progress on my other blog Craftication.

Back to Daring Cooks and the task at hand.  As you know I am the canner.  I just so happened to have made the bruschetta already, last year in fact.  I don't really like it to be honest.  I really need to doctor it up a bit. The apple butter, which I also can is just amazing.  We love apple butter. My Aunt's fiance loves bologna and apple butter sandwiches.  Weird? Nah, pork and apples are a natural together.  I havent tried it yet though as we don't eat much bologna.  Just for kicks I will share when we finally do try it.

The September 2010 Daring Cooks’ challenge was hosted by John of Eat4Fun. John chose to challenge The Daring Cooks to learn about food preservation, mainly in the form of canning and freezing. He challenged everyone to make a recipe and preserve it. John’s source for food preservation information was from The National Center for Home Food Preservation.

Bruschetta In a Jar
Bernardin

9 cups (2250 ml) chopped plum tomatoes, about 3 1/2 lb (1.6 kg), 20 medium
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup (250 ml) dry white wine
1 cup (250 ml) white wine vinegar
2 tbsp (30 ml) balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup (125 ml) water
2 tbsp (25 ml) granulated sugar
2 tbsp (25 ml) dried basil
2 tbsp (25 ml) dried oregano

1) Place 7 clean half-pint (250 ml) mason jars on a rack in a boiling water canner; cover jars with water and heat to a simmer (180°F/82°C). Set screw bands aside. Heat lids in hot water, not boiling (180°F/82°C). Keep jars and sealing discs hot until ready to use.
2) Wash, seed and chop tomatoes into 1/2 inch (1cm) pieces; measure 9 cups (2250 ml), set aside.
3) Combine garlic, white wine, wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, water, sugar, basil and oregano in a deep stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a full boil; reduce heat. Stirring occasionally, boil gently, covered, 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
4) Pack tomatoes into a hot jar to within 3/4 inch (2 cm) of top rim. Add hot liquid to cover tomatoes to within 1/2 inch (1 cm) of top rim (headspace). Using nonmetallic utensil, remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if required, by adding more tomatoes and hot liquid. Wipe jar rim removing any food residue. Centre hot sealing disc on clean jar rim. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight. Return filled jar to rack in canner. Repeat for remaining tomatoes and hot liquid.
5) When canner is filled, ensure that all jars are covered by at least one inch (2.5 cm) of water. Cover canner and bring water to full rolling boil before starting to count processing time. At altitudes up to 1000 ft (305 m), process –boil filled jars – 20 minutes.
6) When processing time is complete, remove canner lid, wait 5 minutes, then remove jars without tilting and place them upright on a protected work surface. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands.
7) After cooling check jar seals. Sealed discs curve downward and do not move when pressed. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark place. For best quality, use home canned foods within one year.
Serving Suggestions:
With boiling water canning, very little oil is used since the oils can weaken the seals on the jar.
For the Bruschetta, olive oil and fresh herbs can be added before serving on top of toasted bread or as a condiment to a dish.


Apple Butter
National Center For Home Food Preservation

4 pounds apples*javascript:void(0)
1 cup apple cider
½ cup granulated sucralose*
1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon ground allspice

Directions:
1. Wash apples well and remove stems and skin. Cut apples into quarters or eighths and remove cores.
2. Combine unpeeled apples and cider in 8-quart (about 7 ½ litre) saucepan. Cook slowly and stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Cook until apples are very soft (falling apart).
3. Position a food mill or strainer securely over a large bowl. Press cooked apples with cider through the food mill or strainer to make a pulp. Be sure to collect all the pulp that comes through the food mill or strainer; for example, scrape any pulp clinging under the food mill into the bowl.
4. Combine pulp with Sucralose and spices in an 8-quart (about 7 ½ litre) saucepan. Simmer over low heat, stirring frequently.
5. To test for doneness, spoon a small quantity onto a clean plate; when the butter mounds on the plate without liquid separating around the edge of the butter, it is ready for processing. Another way to test for doneness is to remove a spoonful of the cooked butter on a spoon and hold it away from steam for 2 minutes. It is done if the butter remains mounded on the spoon.
6. Pour contents into desired storage container or multiple containers. I stored my apple butter in 1-cup (250ml) plastic containers with screw on tops. Refrigerate up to 2 weeks, freeze up to a year, and home canning is good for a year.

9 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

You've done another wonderful job. Good enough to eat:-). I finally got mine up as well. I hope you are having a great evening. Blessings...Mary

LittleRed said...

I love the way your apple butter looks. The apples are not yet ready here....but when they are...I'm going to try your recipe! Thanks for sharing:)

cocoa and coconut said...

Brushetta in a jar...that sounds really tantalizing. I've never heard of apple butter, is just apple sauce? It sounds great - I think you're right it goes fab with pork.

Lori said...

Les reves- apple butter is a cooked down version of apple sauce- lots of spices added in to heighten the flavor. It's thick, rich and delicious.

Avril said...

YUM Lori!!! Your canned goodies are fabulous! I'm always so impressed with those that "can" - I have yet to master such a skill.

kat said...

I need to do Apple Butter for Matt this year, he loves it so. Can't wait to hear about your quilting class.

grace said...

apple butter is near and dear to my heart. my grandma makes the best ever (but your recipe looks pretty terrific too). :)

Barbara Bakes said...

Everyone seems to be loving the apple butter. I wish I would have given it a try.

Vivian Thiele said...

The bruschetta was a read hit for my mom and I -but drizzling with olive oil and topping with fresh basil was a must!