Saturday, September 4, 2010

Give Em' Cake- Zucchini Cake


I know you are probably up to your eyeballs in zucchini.  Before we are knee deep in butternut squash I thought I'd pass along this one to you. I saw it in Bon Appetit.  I want to become more diligent about actually carrying out those magazine recipes I clip.  This one shouted, "Make me". I obliged. Made it.  They ate it.  Gone.


Zucchini Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
adapted from this recipe at Bon Appetit.

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup olive oil (not extra-virgin)
1 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups coarsely grated zucchini

Preheat oven to 350F.  Spray a 9 inch square baking pan with cooking spray.

In a small bowl whisk together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.

In a larger bowl combine oil, brown sugar, vanilla and eggs. Mix in dry ingredients just until incorporated.  Fold in zucchini.  Pour into 9" square and bake for about 55 to an hour. Let cool, then frost.

Cream Cheese Frosting

1/2 cup butter, room temp
4 ounces cream cheese, room temp
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Beat butter and cream cheese together.  Add confectioners sugar, cinnamon and vanilla and beat until combined.  You can adjust the amount of confectioners sugar to get the thicknes of frosting you desire.

15 comments:

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Mmmmmmmm, looks good and I do like a cake flavoured with cinnamon and ginger. As for the frosting, it always makes me want to reach out for a cake :)

shaz said...

Seal of approval then? "Made it. They ate it. Gone". Love that line! Must admit I have yet to gather up the courage to make a zucchini cale, I suppose it's not too different from carrot cake. It does look very tasty, great job.

Unknown said...

Hi Lori, You really have some fantastic recipes on here, That fire roasted salsa looks incredible and I think the zucchini cake would make a sweet ending to any meal. I'm following you on Google reader:) Have a nice weekend.

Lisa said...

I need zucchini recipes, so hat a great surprise when I opened your front page. I;'m sick of chocolate zucchini cake! lol Yours looks so moist and delicious! Also, those Ispahan cupcakes below look fierce! They could be in Hermes' window showcase!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I'm gonna try it! I've never baked with zucchini because 99% of the time it's paired with chocolate and I just don't dig chocolate. I'll let ya know how it goes.
~ingrid

Dandy said...

I can't wait to try this.

Are you trying to tell me that I'm supposed to make the desserts I pull from magazines?

cocoa and coconut said...

I'm glad it's not just me who doesn't always make the recipes from magazines that at the time you simply must take! I've yet to try zucchini cake - which is strange - but I think I'm subconsciously protecting myself because I know that I would absolutely love it and eat it all!

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Sounds really nice. Love the combination of spices used in this cake too!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

Oh, I haven't had zucchini cake in so long! It sounds utterly delicious!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Sorry, Lori but how many zuchini do you think I need for the 1 & 1/2cups? Thanks!

Hope you're having a slammin' lador day weekend! :)
~ingrid

PJ said...

i still have half basket full of zucchini, so keep the recipes coming still!

grace said...

of course this was gone in a flash--look at that thick layer of cream cheese frosting!

Lori said...

Hey Ingrid- no problem. I didnt put it down because medium can be translated in so many ways.Roughly it would be about 2/3 of a 12 inch zucchini that is about 3-4 inches in diameter. About 2 or 3 of the small zucchinis you find in the grocery stores.

Sheila said...

I will have to try this. I have seen many recipes using zucchini lately but did not have any to use. Now I have a massive one from my sister-in-law's garden and this would be a perfect recipe to use!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Thanks, Lori!
~ingrid