Saturday, September 18, 2010

Pasta e Fagoli and Tuscan Seasoning Mix

You know when I go out for dinner the last place I want to go is to an Italian place. That's not to say that I wouldn't be totally happy eating my way across Italy. I am talking about Americanized Italian food for the most part. You see my Mom was not Italian but she made great Italian food for my father all the time. We had it on a regular basis when I was growing up. Most restaurants can not compare to hers or now mine (because of her and what she taught me). When I go out I want something I can not easily do at home. This is one dish you can do easily at home and it would beat the pants off anything you could find at an American Italian eatery (well most anyway).

This here recipe was especially good because it was made with fresh summer tomatoes. You can easily subsitute the canned variety. I broke up some low carb spaghetti for this recipe but certainly put any kind pasta you have on hand for yours. Bon Apetito!

Pasta e Fagoli

5 whole tomatoes
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup basil
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
2 teaspoons Tuscan Italian seasoning (recipe to follow)
2 sage leaves, minced or 1/2 teaspoon dried
4 cups vegetable broth 
1/4 to a 1/2 pound spaghetti
1 can or 2 cups soaked beans, I used garbanzo but canneloni work well here
2 large potatoes (about 2 cups)

Combine olive oil and butter in a soup pot and saute onions and then garlic.  The onions should be slightly golden.  Add tomatoes, broth and all the herbs and seasonings.   Chop potatoes into cubes and add to the pot.  Add the beans.  Cover and let cook until the potatoes are practically falling apart (20 minutes to a half of an hour). Add pasta and let cook until tender.

Serve with fresh basil and parmesan or asiago.  I also like to sprinkle some red pepper flakes in as well.  Dah-licious!

Tuscan Italian Seasoning Mix

1/4 cup oregano
1/4 cup dried basil
2 tablespoons ground fennel
1 tablespoon garlic
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon black pepper
*and if you have dried red pepper, grind that into a powder and add about a tablespoon.

Combine all the ingredients for a knock out seasoning!

4 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

i LOVED that you made it nice and thick, just the way i love it. not much of a broth girl, just give me the stuff in the soup! LOL

Tracy said...

I agree with you about Italian restaurants. Your recipe looks great. I've never made a sauce with potatoes like that. I'll have to try it.

Anonymous said...

Well, yes, I agree with you. The food served at the Olive Garden is so sinned against. And the place is packed! Night after night! Crazy!

grace said...

classic! i appreciate the list of components in the seasoning mix--i could never identify them all simply by taste!