Monday, December 13, 2010

CRAB and CORN CHOWDER

This past summer we ate some of these crabs while on vacation.  My cousin, who is the nicest guy, picked apart the remainder of the crab so we could take it home and make some soup.  I have had it in my freezer waiting for me to be inspired by some amazing recipe.  Finally I eas.  I soent one day making broth and the next day making this soup.


CRAB STOCK

crab shells with meat inside, 10 cups
8 celery ribs, including leaves, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
2 bay leaves
cracked pepper
water to cover
*bay seasoniong
**1/2 cup white wine

Place shells in large stock pot with celery, bay leaves, onion, cracked pepper.  Pour in water until the crab and celery are covered.  Place lid on pot.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and gently simmer for one and a half to two hours. 

* I did not add Old Bay seasonings because the crab was cooked in it.  If your crab is not cooked in it I highly recommend this flavorful seasoning. You can make your own bay seasoning too.
** I totally forgot to add this.  I think wine is a nice addition to broths but it is not necessary.

CRAB and CORN CHOWDER

6 ounces bacon or 1/2 cup cooked chopped bacon
1/4 cup (2 ounces) butter
1 large onion
4 stalks celery, diced
1 cup yellow and red pepper, chopped
1 large bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon thyme
5 medium potatoes, diced
1/4 cup unbleached ap flour
2 quarts crab stock
1 can corn or 1 small bag frozen corn
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
reserved meat from crab shells or you can buy some fresh meat and add it in

Fry bacon in a large soup pot until crisp.  Remove bacon and most of the oil from the pot.  Add butter.  Saute onions, pepper and celery.  When the onions are translucent add flour and brown, stir constantly.  Add broth stir, thoroughly mixing.  Bring broth to a boil and add potatoes, thyme, bay leaf and parsley. Simmer until potatoes are tender.  Add corn and heat through.  Finally add the cream and milk.  Do not bring to a boil after you add the cream.  Heat gently. 

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Fantastic, I just love crab..love chowder - great recipe

The Blonde Duck said...

I love chowder!

Anonymous said...

I have always loved chowder! This is really so nice and comforting.
oak dining table

grace said...

haHA--your cousin did all the hard work and you get to reap the benefits. :)

Lisa said...

What a delicious way to make corn chowder even better. You're so lucky to have been able to get such great crab. By the way, I'm holding a giveaway on my blog for Orglamix Organic makeup and you're welcome to come by and enter. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2010/12/orglamix-organic-mineral-makeup-review.html

kat said...

Oh what a fantastic chowder!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

My honey is from Maryland and swears by Old Bay. I like it but it goes from flavorful to salty in a blink of an eye. Your chowder sounds wonderful!
~ingrid

Btw, sorry I've been such a slacker in the blog reading & commenting dept!