Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Passionfruit Melting Moments

Passionfruit- if you have not tried it- is a bit like a lemon and a apricot mixed together.  If you eat it fresh when perfectly ripe its sweet and luscious and you will say to yourself I have a passion for this fruit.  Thats why they named it passionfruit.  No, not really.  Seriously though I HAVE a passion for this fruit.  My freezer has passionfruit pulp and passionfruit curd in it.  My jam stash has passion fruit jam in it.  I have made passion fruit cheesecake which I have to say is one of the best cheesecakes I have ever had.  That tartness completely balanced out the sweetness of the cheesecake. If you are wondering where to get the stuff, the best place is the frozen food aisle at your supermarket.  Goya makes it.

Completely captivated by this recipe, I just had to make it! I am glad I did. Paired with passionfruit buttercream, you just can't go wrong.

Passionfruit Melting Moments

Adapted from this recipe at About

125g butter, at room temperature ( smidge over a 1/2 cup)
3/4 cup (115g) plain flour, sifted
1/4 cup (45g) pure icing sugar, sifted
1/3 cup (50g) cornstarch
1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
6 tablespoons passionfruit pulp

Filling
60g butter, softened
1 cup (150g) pure icing sugar
2 tablespoons passionfruit pulp


Preheat oven to 325F (160C). Line baking tray with parchment paper or silpat.

In a mixer or a large bowl beat butter until pale and creamy, about four minutes. Add passionfruit juice. Mix well. In a seperate bowl combine sifted flour, icing sugar, cornstarch and lemon zest.  Add the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.

Roll teaspoonfuls of dough into balls. Place on lined baking tray, about 1 inch apart. Dust back of a fork with cornstarch to gently flatten. Repeat process with remaining dough. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked through.

Set aside on the tray to cool for 3 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool.

To make the filling, use an electric mixer to beat the butter until pale and creamy. Add the icing sugar, passionfruit pulp and beat until combined.

Use a small knife to spread a small amount of icing onto one side of a biscuit. Sandwich with a second biscuit. Repeat with remaining biscuits and filling.

Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.

6 comments:

Dewi said...

The title alone is already making my mouth water. What a wonderful dessert.

Happy holiday to you and your family Lori !

Unknown said...

I need to jump on this wagon, these look so good. I dont think I have had anything with passion fruit in it.

Anonymous said...

Passion fruit is definitely a rare and special treat for me- It's so difficult to find! I'm sure these cookies would be wonderful, if I should ever get lucky enough to have some passion fruit on hand.

cocoa and coconut said...

I love passionfruit! I love melting moments! Lori, you are tempting me.

Kristen said...

I am not sure if I have every had a passionfruit. I love how you described them...I am sure I would love them if I could find them in my tiny town.

grace said...

i LOVE melting moments! nice twist, lori--this is a unique flavoring to be sure!