Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Swedish Meatballs


Here is a really nice appetizer that you could prepare ahead.  I love to have appetizers for New Year's.  To be honest I really am not looking forward to New Years as that would mean that my brother has left and gone back home.  I hate for him and my Sister in Law to leave.  I wish they lived close by. 

I hope all of you are enjoying your Holidays!

Swedish Meatballs

1.5  pound beef
1.5 pound ground pork
1 cup minced onion
1 1/2 cups fine bread crumbs
2 tablespoons parsley
1 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 eggs
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Gravy

1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black
4 cups boiling water
1 1/4 cups sour cream
2 whole bay leaves

Combine milk and bread crumbs.  Let sit while you gather the ingredients for the meatballs. In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients for the meatballs except the vegetable oil.  Mix together and add in milk/bread crumbs.  Mix thoroughly.  Form into balls.

In a nice sized skillet or a soup pot, brown the meat balls in batches unbtil they are all browned nicely.  TO that skillet with the oil add the flour and stir until it browns lightly.  Add boiling water and stir well. Add bay leaves and remaining ingredients.  Then add the meatballs back to the pot.  At this point you could transfer it all to a slow cooker. 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

deslish, a perfect app for this coming holiday!

Joanne said...

Not gonna lie, I'm not really looking forward to New Year's either. I'm kind of partied-out for the year. Oh well. These meatballs look delicious! The perfect bite-sized appetizer treat!

grace said...

i like the blend of meats and, of course, the awesome gravy. great nosh, lori!

Anonymous said...

This is perfect for the New Year's party! Perfect and delicious!
conference tables

cocoa and coconut said...

Oh my god. These look fabulous! I love little bites that I can pick at.
Really really great, Lori!

Have a happy new year. I look forward to seeing more of your creations in 2011

Betsy Cohen said...

These Swedish Meatballs look delicious! I have never made them before, but have to give this recipe a try!