Thursday, May 12, 2011

Korean Food: Marinaded Tofu

I have to say that the tofu that I flavored up doesn't come remotely close to the restaurant but that doesn't mean its not good because I found it to be delicious.  I do like tofu.  I know most people are instantly turned off when they hear the word tofu.  Don't be.  Tofu has amazing, chameleon like properties.  Give it a chance more than one time. I always tell my kids that just because you don't like something doesnt mean that you wont ever like it.  Apples can taste so different even.

After I started setting up the table I realized I needed something else to fill in that segment of the dish.  I told my husband to pick up some kimchee at our local grocery store, Wegman's.  Surprisingly he came back empty handed, they did not have it.  Ugh.  What to do?  Last minute, I thought of something that would work as Korean and is something that you might already have in your fridge.

Koean Style Tofu
Largely adapted from this recipe.

12 ounces firm tofu
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1/4 cup green onions, sliced small

Press tofu between paper towel sheets or towels and press down with a cutting board and canned goods or some other heavy item.

Slice tofu block in half lengthwise.  Then slice each half into 1/4 inch slices.  Arrange slices as desired and pour sauce over top.  Garnish with chives or green onions.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

It looks fantastic to me, we dont eat enough tofu in my home.

chow and chatter said...

looks like a yummy jazzed up tofu

Mimi said...

Lori,
I am not a tofu eater, but your recipe looks so delicious, I might just have to re-evaluate my tofu eating habits.
Mimi

The Blonde Duck said...

This is perfect! Ben was just asking for me to make him some tofu!

kat said...

I have a tofu thing, I seem to only like it fried, then again what isn't good fried?