Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Korean White Radish Kimchi (Dongchimi)


I admit it, kimchi is pretty smelly stuff.  But it tastes great especially adding a dose of piquant to your meal.  I know it is not for everyone.  If you are not adverse to the fermentation process, go ahead, try this.  If its not your thing, then, hey, you now understand a little bit more about Korean food. Yeah, I know I am not Korean but I consider myself a cheerleader of ethnic food.  I don't know why that is.  Maybe if we could all eat each others food, maybe we would get along better.

Korean White Radish Kimchi (Dongchimi)


2 cups shredded daikon radish
6 Tbsp sea salt
4 Tbsp sugar
2 cups of water
Mix radishes with 3 Tbsp of salt and 2 Tbsp of sugar. Let stand for 1 day at room temp.
After 24 hours, dissolve 3 Tbsp of salt and 2 Tbsp of sugar into warm water.
Add liquid to salted radishes. Let stand for 1-2 days at room temp.
When broth has achieved a tart, vinegary flavor, store in refrigerator.
A mandolin makes shredding a breeze.

2 comments:

kathleen said...

Good Day, I'm just roaming around the internet trying to find good quality articles and i notice your blog
and read some interesting topics you have.
I really appreciate your work!
will be back for more.

Thank you very much


Kathy
www.healthandwellnessconsultants.com

kat said...

Matt loves kimchi, it scares me ;) Our favorite pizza place here is run by a Korean woman & she makes a pizza topped with kimchi & Korean sausage.