Saturday, April 21, 2012

Chocolate Mocha Cake

Can you say delicious?  I love cake.  This one is no exception.  I made it for my husbands birthday and I think he enjoyed it.  I promptly froze it the next day because I would have it gone in no time.

Long before I started blogging, I used this recipe for chocolate cake that I found on Epicurious.  It was my stand by.  When I started blogging I started to experiment using all different kind of chocolate cake recipes.  This is still one of my favorite.  It is light, flavorful, easy and delicious.

The frosting... well that was a mega bonus.
Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake
Adapted from this recipe at Epicurious.

3 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups cold water
1 cup oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour three 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 1 1/2-inch-high sides. Line with parchment if you would like a worry free release.

Sift first 5 ingredients into medium bowl. Mix water, oil and vanilla in large bowl. Whisk in dry ingredients. Divide batter among pans.

Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool cakes in pans on racks 15 minutes. Cut around pan sides to loosen cakes. Turn cakes out; cool completely. 

Mocha Frosting


1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2½ cups powdered sugar
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1½ teaspoons espresso powder

Mix the espresso powder into the vanilla until dissolved; set aside.
Whip the butter on medium-high speed for 5 minutes, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl. Reduce speed to low and add the powdered sugar a little at a time, waiting until it is mostly incorporated before adding more. Once all of the powdered sugar has been added, scrape the sides of the bowl and increase the speed to medium-high and whip until fluffy, about a minute or two. Add the espresso and vanilla mixture and continue to mix at medium-high until it is completely incorporated, scraping the sides as necessary.


1 comment:

grace said...

awesome cake, lori! the espresso powder is a masterful addition.