Sunday, April 1, 2012

Chocolate Cream Cheese Brownies

One day it's light meals and the next time its luscious desserts.  Okay, it's like the nature of my overweight tendencies.  Well... it is also the fact that there have been birthdays and my kids are always crying out how come we don't have any goodies to eat? Ah... well.... I am scared I am going to pass on my weight issues to my kids.  But, funny, they have shown restraint when it comes to food.  So why should I deny them?  As long as there is not too much sugar because really that is not good for anyone.

These brownies were super delicious.  I will admit that the outer ring (which is usually my favorite part) was not very good.  I may have overcooked it a little though.  The part in the middle, going in about a 1/2 inch all around, was moist delicious and tasty.  I would make these again- next time using mint chocolate.

Chocolate Cream Cheese Brownies
Recipe largely adapted from this recipe, from Fine Cooking Issue 10
I did not have neough eggs so I substituted with applesauce. If you have all five eggs, skip the applesauce.

filling:
1 cup chopped bittersweet chips
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 pound of cream cheese
1 egg
2 teaspoons flour

brownie batter:
9 ounces butter, unsalted at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1/2 cup applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

icing:

12 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips or semisweet.  (I used mini for faster melting)

Melt chocolate and cream together in a microwave or double boiler.  In a bowl beat cream cheese and egg together until fluffy.  Add the cooled chocolate to the cream cheese mixture. Add in the flour.  Set aside in refrigerator while you prepare the batter.

Preheat oven to 350F.  Prepare a 9 x 13 baking pan with butter.  In a bowl beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.  Add eggs (and in my case the applesauce.  Add eggs one at a time and mix until incorporated.  Add in extracts. Finally, add the dry ingredients.

Spread half of the batter in the 9 x 13 pan.  Spoon filling all around the top of the batter and smooth gently over top of the batter.  Add the remainder of the brownie mix over the filling.  Bake for 35 minutes.  As soon as you remove it from the oven sprinkle the chocolate chips over top and spread as they melt.

1 comment:

grace said...

outstanding brownies, lori! i'm used to seeing a cream cheese swirl, but this is different and completely awesome!