Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Vegan Burger Via Serious Eats

I love reading Serious Eats.  Lots of interesting articles about food, along with some great recipes or ideas for recipes. Its a must read for me.  Recently there was a recipe on Serious Eats for a vegan burger.  I have made numerous bean burgers in the past and frankly we love them.  I had to try this version.
My husbands burger, sans bun.
 Be forewarned it is a multi step process. You will have to work to get this one.
The result, well, a bit fall-apart-ish.  Gentleness is key along with the right proportion of eggplant puree.  They have rewritten the recipe to help out with this issue. 

The verdict.  It is okay.  We liked it but I have to say I like my lentil beluga rcipe better.  I will however try their recipe again when those vegetables are in season, just to really give it a fair shake.

Vegan Burger
From Serious Eats- Slightly adapted to what I had on hand

1 1/2 pounds button mushrooms, trimmed
1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon thyme
1 whole small eggplant (about 1/2 pound)
1 small onion, chopped fine (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 large celery rib, chopped fine (about 1/2 cup)
1 medium clove garlic, grated on a microplane grater (about 1 teaspoon)
3/4 cup dry pearl barley
1 (14-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and patted dry on paper towels
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon marmite, vegemite, or Maggi seasoning
1 cup toasted cashews, pinenuts, or a mix
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 1/2-cups panko-style bread crumbs

See the original recipe for a detailed description of how to make this burger.

1.  Cook barley.
2.  Roast eggplant and mushrooms in a 375F oven.

3.  Toast nuts and pulse in processor (not too much).
4.  Gently pulse garbanzos in same way.  You want a nice texture not a puree.
5.  Gently process mushrooms once they are roasted.
6.  Puree eggplant and set aside.  This will be added tot eh mixture once you are ready to fry.  I kept ina  seperate bowl so that each time I made them I would add it to the mixture.  We had them three times.  It makes quite a bit.
7.  Mix everything but the panko and eggplant in a large bowl.  Use this plus a little eggplant and a little panko to make a batch.  Or mix all of it together to cook them all up. 

1 comment:

grace said...

fall-apartish? meh, that's okay--it's all going to the same place anyway. :)