Friday, September 7, 2012

Pickled Peppers


Yes, Peter piper may have picked a peck of pickled peppers, but I couldnt find them that way.  I had to do it myself.  Indeed I did.  I like these kind of things mid winter when I want something to go with m sandwich or something to go with my plate of beans.  I do some fresh ones too that go right into the fridge, no cooking, just pickling (you can check out that recipe here because I have made them many times before).

I almost exactly followed the recipe from this site but I did make some adjustments.  Many people get kind of nervous when they veer off the canning recipe course.  And the FDA would wagging their big finger at me... maybe but below is what I did when I canned them.  You do what you need to, I am just recording what I did so I know what to do next time when I can them again.

Pickled Peppers (with a little heat)

1 slice of a jalapeno (add the amount for the kind of heat that you think you would enjoy- you could also substitute cayenne pepper - about an 1/8 of a teaspoon per jar)
10 to 20 firm, fresh peppers depending on their size and thickness
7 cloves of garlic
3-1/2 cups sugar
3 cups Heinz white vinegar
3 cups water
4-1/2 tsp canning or pickling salt

Wash peppers, quarter them, remove cores and seeds, and cut away any blemishes. Slice peppers in strips and carefully lay into jars, fitting as many as possible. Boil sugar, vinegar, and water for 1 minute.  Place 1/2 clove of garlic, one slice of jalapeno and 1/2 teaspoon salt in each sterile pint jars. Pour in vinegar solution, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.  Process in canner 20 minutes.

Tips:

*I like to have more than enough peppers to do this.  I am looking to have around seven pints because my canner holds seven jars.  With the extra peppers I make the ones that are fresh for the refrigerator.

*I usually double the brine because  I hate having to make it if I find I dont have enough.

No comments: