Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Weight Watcher Wednesday: Yellow Tomato Soup


Yellow tomatoes, in my opinion, and well the opinion of a few others in my family, is kind of bleh.  Why?  Well, they just don't pack the flavor pow like red tomatoes.  There is a good reason for that.  They are lower in acid.  A friend of mine gave me some yellow tomatoes.  In the middle of the tomato frenzy that was my kitchen.  I had just bought a ton of tomatoes for salsa making purposes.  I decided that these yellow tomatoes needed to be tomato soup.  And I have to say I LOVE yellow tomatoes as soup.  They make a really great soup.

Way low in the calorie department.  You could even have a teaspoon of olive oil drizzled over the top and you still would have a soup under a hundred calories.

Yellow Tomato Soup

8 yellow tomatoes, peeled preferably
16 ounces (2 cups) chicken broth
3 leaves of basil and some fresh basil for garnish
1 clove of garlic, minced
salt and pepper
olive oil for drizzling purposes

Scald tomatoes to peel their skin.  Though if they are really ripe they could just peel off.  Place in a saucepan and cover.  Cook until they have tenderized.  Blend in a blender or use an immersion blender, add chicken broth, garlic and basil.  Refrigerate over night.  Eat cold or warm the next day.  Its a great cold soup BTW.

No comments: