Friday, November 16, 2012

Pumpkin Gouda Soup



Oh my!  This is liquid gold.  Best. Pumpkin. Soup. Ever.

I had it last year at a Christmas Pot Luck, thank you dear friend Sandy, you rock the house.  Check out her fabulous blog and podcasts here at Quilting for the Rest Of Us.  I knew it was on my to do list but I kept thinking of other things to make. Finally, after a year, I made it.  Don't wait that long.  Trust me.  This is a do again real soon.

Pumpkin Gouda Soup
Recipe adapted from here at Taste of Home

4 bacon strips, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
6 cups chicken broth
5 cups pumpkin puree
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup half and half
1 cup shredded Gouda cheese


In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Saute onion in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.

Stir in the broth, pumpkin, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cool slightly.

In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to pan. Stir in cream; heat through. Add cheese; stir until melted. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).

If you used heavy cream  then it is 214 calories per cup.  Not bad.  I used half and half so it is less and tastes just as great.



2 comments:

Tracy said...

Sounds yummy! I've never put cheese in a pumpkin soup.

grace said...

liquid gold, eh? with all that gouda in there, i'd believe it!