Saturday, January 18, 2014

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake


I found this recipe on Pinterest.  My morning reading while having my cup of java.  I know, its kind of lame.  I should be reading the paper or something, right?  Eh, lots of sensationalism in the media.  I have come to distrust the news.  But that is rather tangential.  I am talking cookies here.  Anyway, on Pinterest I honed in on this recipe. I looked at several like it.  But they all seemed to be basically the same thing.  So I thought, it must be pretty good.

Well, I dont know what I did wrong.  The directions said it would take 20 minutes flat to make this cake- given a 9 inch round.  I had it in a ten inch round.  You think cooking time would be shorter, right?  Wrong.  30 minutes.  Honestly, I think it could have baked longer but who doesn't like gooey chocolate chip cookie dough.  So I warn you, it may not firm up like you might expect or maybe you should cook it longer but you may just get what you want- chocolate chip cookie dough- baked- kinda-...

Having said that.  I would make it again.  Disappeared mighty fast.  I cut up the last few slices into cookie sizes so that everyone could get a taste at my husbands work.  Off it went. From what I hear it disappeared pretty fast there as well.

I decorated mine with cherry flavored frosting.  And it was really cherry flavored.  The kids loved it.  My one daughter proclaimed, "its the best cookie cake I have ever eaten.  And Mom, that is saying a lot because everyone brings in one of these to class for birthdays. So I have had a lot of them." So there you go.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
Printable here

3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons corn starch
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup chocolate chips

Prepare a 10 inch spring form pan.  Line the bottom with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350F.

Beat butter and sugars together for five minutes- it will be nice and white and fluffy.  Add in vanilla, salt and egg.  In a separate bowl combine flour, corn starch, baking soda together.  Fold in chips with a spatula.  Spoon into the spring form pan and bake for about 25 to 35 minutes. The center will be rather gooey.  That was what the kids liked about it.  But if that is not your thing you could stick it under the broiler to toast is a little more.  Watch it very closely though.  Me and my broiler kind of have this love hate relationship going on.  When it works its wonderful when it doesn't its horrid...


Before decorating.
Cherry frosting here...

No comments: