Monday, January 25, 2016

Sweet Potato Cinnamon Buns


Did anyone ever tell you that raising kids is the hardest job in the world?  No one told me that.  I wonder if it would have made a difference if they did.  No, I know, it would not have made one damn bit of difference in deciding to have children.  I still would have had them.  Matter of fact, knowing what I know now, I would do it over again.  But that doesn't make it any easier.

Just getting them to wash, dress appropriately, wear deodorant can be a chore.  Why?  I really just don't get it.  I love taking a shower.  It makes me feel refreshed and renewed.  It is one of my pleasures of the day.  I am very grateful for the opportunity to take a shower ever day.

In the morning the battles to get my youngest moving... Or how to get my oldest to complete jobs or put things away...  But really.  I should not complain.  These really are minor things.  Annoyances yes, but problems, well, not really.  I need to switch into gratitude mode. Rant over,

Now. this dessert.  My kids really do not have any idea how spoiled they are when it comes to homemade food.

This night that we had this.  Everyone inhaled their piece (or pieces),  It was such a treat.  The last time I made cinnamon buns was almost three years ago.  Wow.
Sweet Potato Cinnamon Buns

2 (1/4-oz.) envelopes active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda



Filling

1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/3 cup butter, softened

Frosting

1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
a little milk- about a tablespoon


Place ingredients in the bowl of a mixer. Place all the dry ingredients in bowl. Mix for a moment. Add water, buttermilk, butter and sweet potato puree and mix until dough ball is formed. Add in more water one tablespoon at a time if too dry. Add flour one tablespoon at a time if too wet. Place in lightly oiled bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size.

After the dough has doubled in size turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, cover and let rest for 10 minutes. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon.

Roll dough into a 16 x 21 inch rectangle. Spread dough with 1/3 cup butter and sprinkle evenly with sugar/cinnamon mixture. Roll up dough and cut into 12 rolls. Place rolls in a lightly greased 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400F.

Bake rolls in preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. While rolls are baking, beat together cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Spread frosting on warm rolls before serving.




No comments: