Friday, May 2, 2008

BREAKFAST A GO GO


Last winter I was on a mission to find the ultimate granola bar. I wanted something a little more chewy (although this one can be crunchy as well). I made countless granola bars ruling out the extreme fat ones as I wanted something with a little less fat than the average. A lot of recipes actually have a cup of butter. While finding many flavorful granolas, this is my granola of choice. I would love to credit the author of this recipe but did not write down my source. Since I have been blogging, when I find a recipe I like I now habitually credit the source.

Without further ado, here is the recipe:

GRANOLA BARS

2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup wheat germ
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup raisins (optional)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup honey
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9 x 13.

In a large bowl mix all dry ingredients. Make a well and add wet ingredients. Mix well, I use a fork to mix. Using the back of a rubber spatula flatten granola into pan and smooth. Bake for 30-35 minutes until bars turn golden at the edges. Cool 5 minutes and cut into bars or squares. Do not allow them to dry completely as they will be very difficult to cut.

If you want more crunch , patiently smooth out in a baking sheet. I also have added another half batch and smoothed it out in a jelly roll pan.

You can add all kinds of mix in, cranberrys, almonds, marshmallows (minis), chocolate chips, the list goes on!

6 comments:

giz said...

This is similar to my energy bars - yup - this I can do. I would chose a granola bar over anything else for breakfast - totally satisfying and I like the low fat thinking.

Barbara said...

Hi Lori, yes I'm having problems with my domain name. I hope it will all be sorted before May 13th for the round up. Love these Granola Bars. Have bookmarked to try. Nice to find one with less fat.

grace said...

i've also taken to making my own granola and granola bars rather than buy the processed versions. what can i say, i like control. :)
these sound great, and i like the addition of the wheat germ. might i suggest some flax seed for your next version? it's good stuff.

Anna said...

I love granola bars! Especially a healthy version. Though I'd probably end up adding chocolate chips and undoing all your good work...

Lori said...

Giz I think I have to check out your energy bars.

Barbara- thank you for stopping by. I cant wait to see your blog up and running!

Grace- I used to put two tablespoons of crushed flax seed in as well. For some reason did not do it this time. As much nutrition as I can pack in as my kids love them.

Indigo- hey why not chips. "A spoonful of sugar..."

CIA-Cooking In An Apron said...

Wow I too have been on the hunt for a good granola bar recipe! I think you made me find one! Awesome! Thanks for sharing!