Wednesday, May 21, 2008

THE TRICKY CHEF


I am not going to call myself the Sneaky Chef because I would not want to copy anyone. Although that is certainly where my inspiration came from. Thank you Missy Chase Lepine. I think you have some great ideas. Don't get me wrong I still think it is important for children to eat recognizable vegetables but hey it doesnt hurt to sneak a little nutrition in here and there. Okay I know I said sneak but trick just didnt work in that sentence.

I made red quinoa the other night. My five year old would not touch it. Mind you she has actually eaten quinoa (the white variety) before, smothered in butter and loved it. Afterall it was smothered in butter. Like the lady says, "A spoonful of sugar..."

So here I was with a ton of red quinoa and nowhere to put all the leftovers in my fridge. I went to my books and to the web but to no avail. I could not find a recipe that was going to suit my needs. Well if you cant find it, make it up.Enter chocolate. I figured hey if I just add some essential ingredients I will have the making of a cake. And indeed I did. Chocolate Cake, alias for Quinoa Chocolate Cake, is nearly all gone. My five year old is begging for it.

Quinoa Chocolate Cake

2 cups cooked red quinoa
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup milk
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray the pan that you will use. Combine dry ingredients. In another bowl combine quinoa and wet ingredients. Mix wet into dry. Depending on your pan, baking times vary. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top.

I had a mini loaf baking pan, along with 3 mini cake pans. I put them in seperately. The mini loaf baking pan took about 25 minutes.

8 comments:

Kelly said...

Brilliant! What a great idea. Thanks for sharing your inspired treat.

Sarah M said...

how was the texture? I would expect it to be lumpy or grainy. was it super moist?
THanks!

Lori said...

It was super moist. Every once in a while you get a little taste of quinoa but overall cant really tell its there. I bet if you cooked it till it was super tender you wouldnt even know it was there at all. My daughter is reluctant about texture. So if she missed it I guess I am doing okay.

Thank you!

BAKE-EN said...

Great idea! Whenever I feel guilty about all the baked goods I eat, I try to make a healthy version. I'll give this a try next time.

Susan @ SGCC said...

Excellent idea! It isn't sneaky to put something really healthy into a sweet treat. It's smart! Well done!

Madam Chow said...

I am SO impressed! I have some red quinoa in the cupboard . . . .

::m:: said...

wow! that cake looks divine! i could eat a huge chunk of that right now! :) thanks for the nice comment on my site...i may have to try out that ina recipe for the bread pudding! can't wait to see how your brioche turns out...have a wonderful weekend! :)

missy [project mcb]

test it comm said...

That cake looks good! I really like quinoa and I have been wanting to try baking with it.