Sunday, June 1, 2008

"Hominy and Me, We're pretty good company..."


Okay, that would be Harmony and Me (Elton John) but it is fitting for this post. I looked in my fridge the other day and I saw cabbage, radish, cilantro, limes and I got thinking. Hmmm, do I have pork hocks in the freezer, why yes I think I do. Oh yes,,, POSOLE ROJO! Have not had this in so long.

I use to live in Phoenix Arizona. I learned a lot when I lived out there. Lots of life lessons and lots about Mexican culture. I had a friend there who was Mexican and she taught me a lot about Mexican food and Mexican men. What a combo. I remember one time, sitting with her by the pool with our feet dangling in the water. She said do you know how to say the vowels in Spanish. I of course said no being the Gringo that I am. She said, it goes like this, "ahhhhhh (insert slight tilting of the head and eyes rolling), ayyyyyy ( throw a little breathlessness in there). On and on it went until I was rolling with laughter. She was the quintessential sex pot! She really took me in as a friend and older sister.

One time she made this incredible soup that I just fell in love with. It wasn't the soup base necessarily, it was the incredible rainbow color presentation. You see Posole, at least according to my friend, needs to be served with fresh shredded cabbage, julienned radishes, chopped cilantro and green onions. If you like the heat, chopped jalapenos as well.

I have not stopped making it since then. I just love this soup!

POSOLE ROJO

1 medium onion chopped
1 tablespoon canola oil or olive oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 quarts tomato juice
2 cups water
2 teaspoons cumin
1 large can hominy
2 smoked pork hocks (much better flavor if they are smoked)
2 cups shredded cabbage
1/2 cup julienned radishes
1 cup chopped cilantro
minced jalapenos
1 cup chopped green onions
limes, wedged

Saute onions in a large pot with oil. When they are golden, add garlic and cumin, saute for one minute more or until fragrant. Pour in water and tomato juice. Bring to a boil. Add pork hocks, bring to a boil again. Simmer for at least an hour, until pork is falling off the bone. When finished take pork hocks out and remove meat, return to pot. Discard the bone and the skin. Ladle into soup bowls. Serve with the fresh cabbage, radishes, green onions, cilantro, jalapeno and lime wedges. Everyone can add what they want.

5 comments:

ServesYouRight said...

Hi Lori! Thank you for stopping by - love you blog! You're prolific :-) Yum :-)

Smita

giz said...

For a second there, the title sounded like you were swearing at me. I was wondering what I did? Ok, so this is foreign food...and thank goodness it came complete with subtitles. It looks really interesting.

Kajal@aapplemint said...

what a wholesome looking bowl of goodness. i'm not a pork eater, but i;m sure it'll taste equally gr8 with lamb.

Anonymous said...

Now I'm going to have that song stuck in my head! Thanks, pal! ;)

Christine said...

Yum good and healthy!

You have been tagged! Your it!

The rules:
Each player answers the questions about themselves. At the end of the post, the player then tags 5 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know they’ve been tagged and asking them to read your blog. Let the person who tagged you know when you’ve posted your answer.
So visit my site when you get a chance!