Monday, June 23, 2008

RED FEATHER on INDIAN FOOD

This past Saturday I had some friends over for what we call our Four Corners Group. When we first started meeting back in 2000 we called ourselves the Intuition Group. We met to read and practice a book together called Practical Intuition. It's basically about how to really listen to what your inner voice is telling you. Like I am sure you had the experience of thinking to yourself after an event took place, "I knew that was going to happen." That knowing is what we were seeking to develop. The book eventually was completed and we just had this chemistry and wanted to keep meeting. A couple of years ago we decided to go an outing and my friend called me Red Feather. It just kind of popped out. So then we all named each other American Indian type names and called ourselves the Four Corners (representing East, West, North and South and Earth, Wind, Fire and Water). I am Red Feather Swimming (water), my friend who named me is called Sparkling Stone, Earth (yeah, she loves jewels and sparkles), another friend is named Eagle Soaring, Wind (she conquered cancer, is there anything more soaring than that?) and finally my other friend is Dancing Flame, fire (she is a trained dancer).

I had them all over on Sunday and we enjoyed an Indian lunch together. East Indian that is. We had Naan (click here for the recipe), Tandoori Chicken (click here for the recipe, I did add a teaspoon of turmeric to that recipe) and Raita (see below). And for dessert, well, I will tell you all about that tomorrow (I will give you a hint, it's French).


RAITA

2 cups yogurt (I used fat free)
1 cucumber shredded
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
2 T mint, chopped
1 tomato, coursely chopped and squeezed of excess juice
4 scallions, chopped
1- 2 teaspoons kosher salt (depending on taste)
1- 2 teaspoon cumin
1 clove garlic, minced

Combine all and let set in the refrigerator for at least an hour.

You can add any kind of vegetables to Raita. It's so refreshing and so nice dipping Naan into it or cooling off your palate after eating some tandoori chicken.

1 comment:

giz said...

I love that you guys get together doing something that's deeper than what's on the surface. Very cool.