Saturday, October 18, 2008

GREEN TOMATO SALAD PARTY

The last of the veggies from the garden and a few herbs from the herb garden came together for a party today in this salad bowl. The result was amazing! For years my Mother canned green tomato salad. I was okay with it. Now that I am an adult of course I wanted to make this classic from our family. I switched it up a little and invited some herbs to the party. Traditionally my Mother would put oregano and basil in this salad. I decided to go with those as well but also added parsley, tarragon, and sage. Play with the flavors to suit your tastes!

GREEN TOMATO SALAD
Lori's Lipsmacking Goodness Original

1/4 cup fresh parsley
2 tablespoons fresh basil
1 large leaf of sage
1 tablespoon fresh tarragon
4 tablespoons fresh oregano
1 head of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup of red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons cracked pepper
8 cups of sliced green tomatoes
3 Hungarian peppers, chopped (these are a mild pepper)

The first part of this process takes some time unless you have a mandolin. Clean and slice the green tomatoes. Leave the skin on. Place them in a non reactive bowl. Porcelain, ceramic or glass work best. Sprinkle them liberally with kosher salt. It is important to use non iodized salt. Let them sit overnight in a cool place. You can leave them sit two nights if you would like. This process extracts water from the tomatoes and also tenderizes them. Rinse in cold running water when ready to make the salad.

Mince all the herbs and garlic; add those to the green tomatoes. Pour in olive oil and vinegar and give it a taste. Add more salt or pepper as you see fit.

If you are canning this pack in jars up to 1/2 inch fromt he top. Seal and cold pack* for twenty five minutes. Yield: 4 pints.

*The cold pack process is when you place whatever you are going to can in jars, seal and put in a water bath. Bringing it to a boil and "processing" it for however long the recipe indicates. After which you remove to cool and you will hear the lids go down, "plink".

11 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

It looks great! You come up with the neatest things.

Lucy..♥ said...

Ooooh Lori, these look so good!! This year my garden we ate the last of the tomatoes and hardly a green was to be found at the end of this season.

Bunny said...

I've never had green tomatoes, and I love tomatoes. Now I feel like I've missed something good.

Anonymous said...

Very nice. And it looks so pretty in the jar :)

giz said...

Love the new lips. You certainly on a canning roll aren't you. Are you ready to drop yet?

grace said...

i rescued a bowlful of green tomatoes before the frost, and i had no idea what to do with them. good timing, lori. :)

Lynn said...

Thanks so much for sharing this, Lori. I can't wait to try it. We have gobs of tomatoes still on the vine, and I'm getting the feeling most of them won't be getting much more red on their own. This sounds like a perfect way to use them. :)

Lynn said...

. . . and I have the green tomatoes, salted and on the counter as we speak. :)

suzybel56 said...

My green tomatoes were finished by the time I found this...I can't wait for next year's crop to try!

Lynn said...

This was yummy, Lori :)

Lori said...

Lynn- I am so glad you enjoyed it. That puts a smile on my face.