Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Macarons, Dulce de Leche


I know, you weren't exactly expecting macarons were you. let me explain.

Today is my first day (and by the way, its going great). I have so much support around me, people at the gym, all of you and your supportive comments, my family and friends. What more could I ask for in this journey.

Last night I had my "Four Corner" friends over (our little group, click here to read more). It was my last day on the indulgent wagon and what could be better then going out with a bang- French macarons. I wasn't so bad, I had soup and salad for us and some toasts with brie. So all in all it wasn't too bad for the last day of indulgeville. I figured that it would be self defeating to eat too much. I only have to work it off anyhow. Who would I be fooling?

So here is my thought for the day on this incredible, nonedible journey. "Embrace the journey", here is what I plan to do. I am going to love every part of this journey, the scale, the hunger, the egg whites, the plateaus, the sore muscles. Every hootin' detail of the whole shebang, I am going to love. Why not? It's my beautiful life and I will appreciate it all!

So alas, enjoy these beautiful macarons. A kiss goodbye to them and a kiss hello to a healthier me.
MACARON

  • 125 grams almond flour
  • 225 grams powdered sugar
  • 100 grams egg whites(that have been at room temp for 24 hours)
  • 25 grams sugar

Preheat oven to 300 °F . Combine almond flour and confectioners together in a bowl and stir to combine. In a mixing bowl whip egg whites at medium speed. When they begin to get foamy add the granulated sugar slowly. Beat until the whites form medium-peaks and are glossy.


Fold in your dry ingredients slowly to the meringue. Pipe the batter to a diameter of about an inch. And let rest for 30 minutes before baking. Bake for about 11 minutes or until done, turning the sheets halfway through.



Bench Notes:


I find that my macarons do much better on parchemnt rather than the French baking sheets.

Pans do make a difference (at least for me). Play around a little with what you have. The Chicago Metallic one that I have seems to work the best.



Dulce de Leche Cream

Lori's Lipsmacking Original

8 oz of cream cheese (I used 1/3 less fat), room temp

1 can of dulce de leche


Beat them together until they are combined and smooth.


7 comments:

Shelly said...

Saw the picture and thought...
"what the heck???". I dig what you said about loving the whole process, thanks for the positive spin on this big fat-free journey.

Bunny said...

You have a great attitude Lori, that's what's going to make you a winner! I've never even tried to make macaroons, they look so very complicated and touchy!

The Blonde Duck said...

Oh my God. Dulce de Leche. Drool.

Anonymous said...

Well, the cookies look amazing! Good job, Lori! Going out in style..I like that!
I'll be thinking of you as I try to do the same (get fit).

kat said...

What a way to go!

grace said...

i'll gladly take these off your hands, lori. you don't have to ask me twice or twist my arm in any way. carry on!

Jacque said...

Wow, those look fantastic!

Good luck on your journey :)