Sunday, March 22, 2009

Avocado and Crab Enchiladas


Every time I buy crab, I make crab cakes. I love crab cakes. This time I wanted to be a bit different and have some crab enchiladas. They were very good but I missed my crab cakes. I think the avocado would be great with, say, black beans.

AVOCADO and CRAB ENCHILADAS

1 medium onion, chopped
15 black olives, chopped
1/2 pound crab meat, fresh or frozen
1 avocado, mashed
1 cup reduced fat sour cream
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 dashes Tabasco sauce
6 corn tortillas (you can use flour, I prefer the taste of corn)
4 ounces shredded Monterey or Pepper Jack cheese -- grated

2 teaspoons butter
1 clove garlic, minced

Saute onion and garlic in butter until onion is softened. Remove from heat and cool.

Remove two tablepoons of the cooled onions and garlic and add 1/2 cup of the sour cream. Spoon half of that into the bottom of a small casserole dish (you will have aprox. 6 enchiladas). The other half is added for the top of the enchiladas.

Mash avocado in a bowl and add the remainder of sour cream, Tabasco, lemon juice, s and p, chopped black olives, crab, shredded cheese (reserving two tablespoons of cheese for the topping) and the remaining cooled onions and garlic. Stir to combine and spoon into enchiladas. Lightly roll and place seam side down in the casserole dish. Smooth the remainder of the reserved sour cream mixture on top of the enchiladas and sprinkle with the reserved cheese.

Cover and place in a 375F oven for about 40 minutes.

15 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

Here's the deal. I've gained five pounds just reading your recipe. It sounds so good. Mercy......

The Blonde Duck said...

I love enchiladas!

kat said...

Oh that combination sounds great

Robin said...

I love crab meat so I think this would be a great thing for me!! And so healthy too!

grace said...

although i don't like crab, the mere presence of avocado makes these absolutely worth eating. bravo!

The Blonde Duck said...

Sussy for you on my blog!

Bunny said...

Wow Lori this sounds fantastic, I would make crabcakes it's nice to know this recipe is here to try, thanks!

Anonymous said...

I'm craving these right now!

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Crab...mmmm.... Will have to look-up your crab cake recipe in your archives!

Lori said...

Oh Murasaki, sorry, I dont think I hae posted one yet. I usually makes Martha Stewarts recipe for crab cakes. Soon I am sure they will be on my blog.

Maria said...

Oh yea, those look way good!

Billie D. said...

why would anyone, ever, start a recipe by saying that they would have, after their end result, wanted to make something else. why would i want to do this recipe. why am i wasting my time typing this.

Lori said...

Apparently you wanted to be heard. I try new recipes. That is how I find out what I like. Trying something new is a way of finding out new things of interest.

guitartravis said...

Lori, I am trying this recipe right now but I think I have driven way off course. I didn't see the mention of crab anywhere but the ingredient list. also, I am very confused about the onions/garlic and what portion needs sour cream....the 2 tbs or the remainder..... or do I add sour cream onions and garlic mixture to dry casserol pan. I don't know. The ingredient combo looks great and I would love to try this recipe the way you intended it to be.

Lori said...

guitar travis. I changed the wording a bit and hope that helps. I probably am too late.