Sunday, March 29, 2009

Coconut Macaroon Revisited

I love that these pretty little things are not cloyingly sweet. I seem to remember them that way, maybe because they were store bought. They are quite tastey and chewy. I jazzed them up a bit with chocolate for my husbands coworkers.

I just got back from kickboxing and I am whipped. I hardly have the strength to write. Pathetic! Things are kind of at a stand still on the weight loss front. I seem to be stuck in a rut. Must kickbox myself into some more motivation. Got any for me? Success stories? Before and after pics? How do you trudge on when there is a mountain to move? And, yes, I ate four of these pretty little things. That is why they are sitting on the counter packaged up for their commute to DH job!

Coconut Macaroons
Joy of Baking

4 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups coconut
1/2 cup cake flour

In a double boiler combine egg whites, sugar and salt. Heat until the mixture is warm to the touch. Remove from heat and whisk in flour and then vanilla. FInally the coconut. Place in refrigerator for about an hour.

Remove from refrigerator and scoop up small balls, about an inch in size. Place on a parchment lined cooking sheet, insert an almond in the center. Bake for about 15 minutes in a 325 degree oven. They do spread so leave adequate space between them.

7 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

Lori, just keep on with it and remember to reward yourself with something other than food when you've had a good month. At the end of the line you'll find you can eat anything in small quantities. It's possible to become a self-governed eater. Not easy, but possible.

Sara said...

These look great! I love macaroons, I usually make the Barefoot Contessa's recipe but I'll have to try this version next time.

Shelly said...

I so want to make these for my little sister...she loves macaroons. I'll have to wait though, sissy and I are both having a little problem with will power...I can't have any goodies in the house for a little while, or at least until I wrap my brain around this whole "eat less moove more" thing.

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Ahhhh thank you for posting this. This really looks lipsmacking good! :D

grace said...

love the chocolate drizzle--coconut and chocolate make a party in my mouth. :)

Debbie said...

I made macaroons too! And I mentioned you in my post. Because it was odd that we both thought about it in the same few days. Stuff like that happens often. LOL

your's look better than mine.... I think I'll make adjustments to mine next time.

Shelby said...

Hi Lori! I found you from Debbie's link on The Friday Friends. Who knew a friend from across the states would bring me to another blogger so close to home!

Great looking cookies! I'm off to read more of what you have to offer! :o)