Saturday, March 14, 2009

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Lemon Curd

Kat over at A Good Appetite made these lemon ricotta pancakes and I just knew I had to make them. Her and Matt always seem to be filled with good ideas. So last Sunday morning I could not get on the internet, so I kind of winged it. I was very pleased with the result and apparently so was everyone else because they disappeared in a flash. (Hence the not so perfect pancakes were all that were left, sigh). Next time, because there will definitely be a next time, I will try Kat's recipe.

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 egg
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/3 buttermilk
3/4 cup ricotta
zest of one lemon

Whisk the flour and baking powder in a large bowl. Add buttermilk, egg, salt, sugar and zest. Whisk to combine. Add ricotta and stir with a spoon.

Tips:

Your batter should not plop off the spoon but it should not run of the spoon like water either. It should look a tiny bit thicker than buttermilk.

The pan should not be too hot because the surface will cook faster than the insides and you will have mushy pancakes.

Lemon Curd

5 yolks
1 cup sugar
juice and zest of 4 lemons
1 stick of butter (4 oz.) cut in eight pieces

Combine yolks, sugar, juice and zest of lemons in a stainless steel bowl. Whisk until combined. Place bowl over boiling water. (You could also use a double boiler). Stir with whisk constantly. You want to heat it until it sticks to the back of a spoon. When you run your finger through it, it makes a trail. This usually takes anywhere from eight to ten minutes.

Take off the heat and whisk in pieces of butter one at a time until melted. Place in a glass or ceramic container and refrigerate. You can store this for about a week. It freezes well and defrosts rapidly.

10 comments:

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Talk about lipsmacking goodness. YUM. :D

Lucy..♥ said...

Wonderful!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Lori, these do look good. I love lemon 'anything'.

grace said...

it's hard for me to even think about pancakes without maple syrup, but these are irresistible. nicely done, lori!

Maria said...

Those look soooo good! Wish I would of made them over the weekend. Next time:)

giz said...

Not even difficult and looks so good - ricotta cheese and lemon - oh yaaaaa.

The Blonde Duck said...

That's so creative! I'm impressed! I can't make things up on the fly. Bad things happen.

Janice said...

Wow these looks amazing! I can't wait to make them. Lori, for the buttermilk, is it 1 1/3 cup? The unit was missing from the recipe. Thanks!

Lori said...

Janice, the unit 1 1/3 cup is in the list for the recipe. I am afraid I don't understand your question.

Janice said...

Thanks, Lori! I probably have a problem with my browser I can't see "cup" after 1 1/3 =)

Now I can try making these delicious pancakes!!!