Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Portugese Dish with Broa


I did a search for the type of recipe that was suggested by Bernard Clayton to go with the Broa (click here for that). Not too many recipes out there like what he was talking about. But all I needed was one and I found it. Delicious. A very simple dish with some nice flavor. We really enjoyed this. I would like to make it again because you can prep everything ahead of time and then pop it in the oven. Have to love that type of recipe.

Baked Eggs with Ham, Sausage and Peas
Adapted from Regional Recipes


1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes (with liquid)
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon paprika
2.5 ounces fully cooked smoked ham, diced
2 smoked chicken chorizo sausage, sliced thinly
2 eggs
1/4 cup cooked green peas
2 tablespoons chopped pimento

Cook and stir onion and garlic in oil in 2-quart saucepan until onion is tender. Add tomatoes, sugar and paprika; break up tomatoes with fork. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.Cook and stir ham and chorizo sausage in 8-inch skillet until sausage is done, about 5 minutes; drain.Divide tomato mixture evenly among 4 ungreased 1-ounce custard cups. Break 1 egg over mixture in each cup. Arrange ham mixture, peas and pimiento around each egg. Bake uncovered at 400 degrees F until eggs are set, 12 to 15 minutes.Serve in custard cups.
Yields 2 servings.

My Notes:

I omitted the parsley because I didnt have any- definitely would use it next time.
The calories for half the recipe is about 350.

Crumble Broa into the mixture for more taste, flavor and texture.

9 comments:

Sara said...

That sounds so good, I made a similar recipe once from a cuban cookbook I own.

kat said...

Looks like it would be a good dinner or breakfast

Sheila said...

That is amazing that half only has 250 calories! I am always ready for delicious food and something with that few calories is perfect.

What is Broa? Did I miss that?

Lori said...

Sara- I will have to check that out.

Kat- Yes your right, I think it would make a great breakfast!

Sheila- Thanks for pointing that our! I updated my post. I made "Broa" a few days ago. If you scroll down you will see it.

The Blonde Duck said...

What is broa?

Lori said...

Blonde Duck- the Non Jiffy cornbread silly.

Bunny said...

Geez I missed 32 of your recipes!! This looks good Lori, I wish I was as adventurous with cooking as you are!

grace said...

what a great dish! dilemma--do i eat it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or all three? :)

Jude said...

Sounds like the perfect thing to go with broa. I've only had the bread a few times but can't forget the taste. It seems to stay with you or something.