Thursday, March 19, 2009

Rosemary Flatbread

Why is it that I have binders full of recipes? An expanding file full of recipes? A' to be filed' box of recipes? And a huge smattering of cookbooks. Why? AM I obsessed? You know I am beginning to think I have a problem. Besides Bloggers Anonymous, I will have to join Recipes Anonymous. But what the h--- would we talk about? The weather? Food is just far more interesting. So many things to talk about trends, techniques, ingredients, where to get produce, what restaurants are stellar... On and on it goes.

When I go to the gym, guess what the older ladies are talking about? Why, yes, it's food, how did you know? I am not alone in my obsession, but really do I need to have so many recipes? Or more importantly, why do I have so many recipes? Can you tell I was a psychotherapist in my professional life? Yup, I am analyzing again. So here is my theory.

Everyone's food always looks better than my own. AND. There is a better recipe on the horizon.

Great pie crust recipe? Why not see if this one is a little better, or a little easier.
Great chocolate cake recipe? Same thing again. And did you notice that Repressed Pastry Chef's chocolate cake was super popular on Tastespotting. Why? Not because we don't have a gazillion chocolate cake recipes in our archives both printed and unprinted but because we think we can find something better. I guess when all is said and done, is that such a bad thing? ~ Thinking we can find something better or easier. I guess it is the drive that has produced inventions, better products, new lands,and overall better lives.

Okay, so maybe I don't need Recipes Anonymous but merely a secretary!
ROSEMARY FLATBREAD
King Arthur's Whole Grain Baking

1 1/2 tablespoons chopped, fresh rosemary
1 1/4 cups durum flour
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup water

Combine dry ingredients. Mix in olive oil and water. Knead until you have a firm dough. This takes about five minutes. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for an hour.

Preheat oven to 475F. Divide dough into eight segments. Take one piece and rewrap the dough to keep it from drying out. Shape the segment into a disk. Place on parchment. I use washed out cereal bags to roll out my dough. No extra flour is needed and it does not stick. Place the cereal bag over the dough. Roll it out until it as thin as possible. Remove teh plastic and spray with water, lightly. Add salt and seeds as desired. Transfer dough on parchment to a baking sheet. Bake until golden.

10 comments:

Joie de vivre said...

I am a cookbook addict. Why? I like to read them. I justify my purchases of more cookbooks though because I routinely go through my cookbooks and get rid of the ones I'm not using anymore. Hey, people have book obsessions, mine just involves cookbooks. There are far worse addictions. Now I'm justifying that...

Lucy..♥ said...

Ooooh Lori... you've just coined me to a "T". Cookbook, recipes galore and I don't see that stopping anytime soon!

Beautiful flat bread & another recipe to bookmark!!! ;-)

giz said...

I love the flatbread. I'm so into new dippy things lately, particularly mediterranean style dips. This would be a perfect accompaniment. Thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

"Why" is not a good question for us! Just breath in and accept :)

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Ahhhh...this sounds lovely. Rosemary is one of my favorite herbs. :)

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a lovely bread. Now I'm hungry again.

kat said...

I know, I could never be one of those people who just cook the same thing time & time again. I'm always trying something new

Sara said...

I love making bread, I make pizza dough all the time but for some reason I haven't done other flatbread type recipes. I am definitely going to try this.

grace said...

so...what's the payrate for your secretary? i may be available. :)
great bread, lori!

Jude said...

I really like it when certain areas in flatbreads are a bit more brown than others. Looks perfect!