Thursday, April 23, 2009

And you could smell us a mile away.



I have so been wanting a kind of a Sopa de Ajo but I just couldnt find what I was looking for. You know that "Necessity is the Mother of Invention". So a little of this and a little of that and I got exactly what I wanted. My husband, the garlic officianado, took care of any trace of leftovers. There wasn't a drop left. And he had the smell to prove it. Back off Jack.



I roasted five heads of garlic for this soup so if garlic scares you, don't read any farther. If colds and viruses have been making there way around your house, this is the medicine you have been looking for. Natures antibiotic. Of course it will keep EVERYONE else away as well.

Sopa de Ajo, My Way

5 heads of garlic
1 quart of beef broth or chicken broth
5 medium potatoes chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon butter
2 teaspoons olive oil

Cut the heads o the garlic and wrap in aluminum foil. Place ina toaster oven to roast until brown. If you have the time peel it all and put it in the aluminum foil. Then you can just dump it in the soup and there is no waste.

While the garlic is roasting saute onion in 1 teaspoon butter and two teaspoons olive oil until lightly golden. Add broth, salt and potatoes and cook covered until potatoes are tender. You may have to add water to thin depending on the size of your potatoes. Add garlic when roasted.

Blend soup with an immersion blender or a regular blender. Return to the pot and heat gently until ready to serve. It's great with some crusty bread.

13 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love the purity and simplicity of your recipe. Save me a cup!

Pam said...

I love, love, love garlic so this soup doesn't scare me. I can't wait to give this recipe a try.

hungryandfrozen said...

I can never have enough garlic! Plus, roasting makes it mellow, not scary...will definitely have to give this a go soon (especially since I have a cough I can't shake)

Murasaki Shikibu said...

"If colds and viruses have been making there way around your house, this is the medicine you have been looking for. Natures antibiotic. Of course it will keep EVERYONE else away as well."

haha...This is great for when there's a cold or influenza going around. When you're stuck at home in bed nobody's going to 'smell' you anyway. ;)

kat said...

Woah I bet that was amazing & as long as everyone eats it that you are around then its fine!

vibi said...

LOL LOL That's too funny... the smell to prove it! lol

You know there's a typical garlic soup in France, around the region of Dordogne;I had it at Laroque-Gageac, but I can't remember its name (If I do eventually, I'll let you know!) it is quite more soupy than this though, but very, very nice.

Yours seems delicious!

vibi said...

Got it... the soup's called "Tourin à l'ail" ...or "Garlic Tourin" but I doubt you find anything on it in English! lol

Anonymous said...

I would love this soup, Lori!
(also..thanks:)

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Ha-ha, I've been wondering what that was :)

My youngest and I LOVE garlic. She'll sniff at the jar of minced garlic and go mmmmmmmmmm. So you know this sounds like one she'd love.
~ingrid

The Blonde Duck said...

I don't care what I smell like. That looks awesome!

Sheila said...

This is a great recipe for the time of year, because the scent of garlic keeps mosquitoes away and they are starting to come out:( But, who needs an excuse to try one of your recipes?!

Bunny said...

Wow 5 heads of garlic, you wouldn't have to worry about vampires either Lori!!

grace said...

how sad that there are people who don't like garlic. granted, it can be annoying when it lingers on one's breath, but it's totally worth it. great soup. :)