Friday, April 10, 2009

Crunchy Granola


I have a friend that calls "hippie" type people, "crunchy". I asked her one day why she would call people crunchy. She said because they are the type of people that eat granola and wear Berkenstocks. Ha! God love my friend. I guess I am kind of crunchy too. I use to wear Berkenstocks until they started killing my feet (won't bore you with that story). And for sure I eat granola. I love granola. Really, I can hang with Hippies, I can hang with just about any kind of person (as long as their decent people of course). I am like my Father in the way that he does not know any strangers. However, with the addition of kids I have become more guarded but all in all, I just love people. I watch all the reality shows like Biggest Loser and Survivor just to watch people interact. I find it fascinating. When I worked as a Social Worker in a Nursing Home I remember watching some of the caregivers, in complete awe of their wonderful way with patients. The way they could go about daily care giving routines with such respect, love and humor. They did an outstanding job. I would often find myself staring at them. They probably thought I was crazy. Really, I was just filled with admiration. So the next time you feel uncomfortable because someone is staring at you- maybe they are like me, and just really admire who you are.

To think that paragraph started out about granola and hippie type people. Whoa.

I have always wanted to make granola- I've made granola bars. When I saw Zoe and Jeff's recipe for granola, I liked the sounds of it. It has less fat than most granola recipes. It is delicious. The kids are really enjoying it. Maybe we will have enough to make their bread next week.

HOMEMADE GRANOLA for GRANOLA BREAD
recipe courtesy of Zoe Francois
Artisan Bread in Five Minutes A Day, St. Martin's Press, NY


1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup sesame seeds
3/4 cup chopped pecans or the nut of your choice
3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped dried apricots or dried cranberries (or a combination)


Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a high-sided cookie sheet or a lasagne pan with parchment paper. oil butter or a large silicone mat.

Mix honey, maple syrup, oil, water, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt in a alrge measuring cup.

In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients except for the dried fruit, and mix until everything is coated with the hony mixture. Spread the mixture evenly over the prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes, stirring every ten minutes, until the mixture is golden brown. Baking time will vary depending on the depth of granola in the cookie sheet or pan.

After the baking is complete, add the dried fruit.

Allow to cool, store in jars and use in Aunt Melissa's Granola Bread.

1 comment:

kat said...

It does really sound like a great granola!