Saturday, April 25, 2009

LEMONY LENTIL SALAD with GREEK DRESSING

Well, we are off to do our part for the community/environment. We are out picking trash up. There was an overwhelming response in our community last year. Here's hoping that today there will be a grand outpouring of do-gooders out to clean up the roadside. It's small but it is something. The most important thing we hope to accomplish is to give our children a sense of community and responsibility to that community.

This salad whips up quick and it is virtually a veggie rainbow in a bowl. The flavor packs a great, refreshing punch. I like my veggies to outnumber my lentils because I don't like it too starchy.


Restaurant Style Greek Dressing

1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl.


LEMONY LENTIL SALAD

1/4 cup lemon juice
3-4 tablespoons of Greek Dressing
1 cup coooked lentils
1 1/2 cups carrots, chopped
4 green onions, sliced
1/2 cup radish, chopped
1/2 cup parsley, chopped

Boil lentils in pot until nearly tender, add carrots. Cook until carrots are crisp tender. Drain lentils and carrots to cool. Empty them into a bowl and combine with the remainder of the vegetables. Pour dressing and lemon juice over the salad. Combine thoroughly. Add salt and pepper to taste.

10 comments:

Debbie said...

I love lentils in soup....and I love lemon, so, I just might have to give this a try! Looks delicious.

Mary Bergfeld said...

You've convinced me that I have to do more with lentils. The recipe looks great.

Murasaki Shikibu said...

What a great idea. I was wondering what to do tomorrow evening as I wanted to eat lentils and carrots. Gonna make a variation of this I think! :)

hungryandfrozen said...

Good on you for helping clean up your community. Every little thing helps - it all adds up :)

I love lentils - and this dressing sounds amazing. Looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

This looks really delicious!

Question: Do you think substituting quinoa for the lentils will work as well? I love lentils, but I've also really come to love quinoa!

Lori said...

Thank you all. It was really quick to throw together.

Lunadea7- Yes, I think quinoa would work well. Thats the great thing about this kind of thing. You can mix and match to your taste and whats in your pantry. The salad dressing would go great wiht just about anything.

kat said...

I love a good lentil salad

Shelly said...

Yum! I was looking for a new dressing and funny thing...thought of you ;) and here it is!
It's so cool that you're taking your kids on the community clean-up, I'll bet they'll never be litter-bugs.

grace said...

i have a hard time finding dressings that i like, but this one sounds perfect for my tastes! and some lemony lentils would really hit the spot right now.

Angela said...

Thanks for the recipe. I love lentils, but I have a hard time figuring out interesting ways to cook them.