Monday, April 6, 2009

Quick Quiche


When my husband and I went to Ithaca, NY for our anniversary this past October we stayed at a B and B called The Yellow Barn. It was our first experience at a B and B. We loved our time there. Our lovely hostess was a woman from France. For our breakfast the second morning we had quiche. It was so tastey and creamy. While I do not have her recipe I am venturing to guess that she used heavy cream. It was so delicious. My husband absolutely loved it and kept talking about it. I knew I needed to make quiche again and wow, it only took me, what, six months to finally make it.

I toned the calories down quite a bit, adding light cream instead of heavy cream. Still very tastey. I have made it two times. One pictured above with broccoli and one with asparagus. We loved them.

QUICK QUICHE
20 minute prep.

1 teaspoon herbs de Provence
3 eggs
3 egg yolks
1 cup light cream
2 oz shredded cheddar
5 oz deli ham
1 1/2 cup broccoli, lightly cooked and chopped
1 round of pre packaged pie dough

In a deep dish pie pan or a nine inch round, press in and smooth out the pie crust. Refrigerate while preparing the remainder of the ingredients.

With a whisk in a large bowl, whip the eggs and cream together until completely combined. Add in cheddar, ham and broccoli, berbs de Provence, and s & p to taste. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake in a preheated oven at 350F.

297 calories for 1/8 of the quiche.

17 comments:

Sara said...

This looks delicious, I love that it's so quick and easy!

Lucy..♥ said...

Lori, this looks delish!! and a quickie at that!! YUM!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks delicious. I'm so glad you had the opportunity to get away for a bit. A change of pace is always so nice.

The Blonde Duck said...

I love this! Is it real eggy? I love quiche but Ben sneered at the last one I made, calling it "too dense and eggy."

Dragon said...

This quiche looks so good!

Bunny said...

Lori this looks fantastic, what a breakfast this would be!!

Selba said...

The quiche definitely looks so delicious!

Anonymous said...

I love quiche. :)

Pam said...

This is my very favorite quiche flavor - yours looks and sounds wonderful.

grace said...

quiches are so good and easy and healthy, and i love the things you've added. good for you!

giz said...

Really low calorie count and so satisfying both to look at and to eat.

kat said...

My hubs loves quiche too, I really should make it for him sometimes

Screamin' Mama said...

I love quiche! I will definitely try this.

Murasaki Shikibu said...

I've visited Ithaca, NY a few times. A friend was going to Cornell University the first time and later on my sister was getting her Master's Degree at Syracuse University and we drove over to Ithaca.

Your quiche looks delicious btw. :)

Madam Chow said...

I made a quiche recently and it turned out great. It's quick, easy, and real men DO eat quiche!

Lucy..♥ said...

Lori, I'm back to say this was my dinner this evening and it's a keeper! Thanks!!! We dug into it quickly before I had a chance to a photo, actually forgot about it since I was starved, they'll be another opt soon for sure ;-)

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Hokey Pokey brings back memories of my childhood in New Zealand. I loved Hokey Pokey and after we went back to the Philippines my mom made some for us inside a soup ladle for us. Apparently it was quite common to make this hokey pokey in Japan in in her time.