Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Recipes to Rival: Steak Diane Flambe



The Recipes to Rival Crew is at it again. The hosts for March were Temperance of High on the Hog and Shawnee of Delishes Delishes. The recipe of the month was Steak Diane Flambe.... ooh fire. Ah yeah, it didn't quite happen for me. So dissapointing, I was so looking forward to the flames. There is something so primal about torching your food. You were suppose to tip the pan to ignite the alcohol in the brandy. Sadly, it just didnt happen. If I were to do it again or a dish similar I think I would use a long tipped lighter instead. Click here for a complete post with more pics.

Steak Diane Flambe

Ingredients

For the steaks
4x85g beef medallions
1 tsp Dijon mustard
freshly ground salt and pepper

For the sauce
1 tsp Butter, clarified
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp Shallots, finely chopped
50g button mushrooms, finely sliced
1 tbsp lemon juice
125ml double cream
1 tbsp Chives, snipped
50ml Brandy

Method 1. Rub the medallions of beef with the mustard, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
2. Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat and when hot, add the clarified butter and Worcestershire sauce.
3. Add the shallots and mushrooms, and push to the centre of the pan. Arrange the medallions around the edge. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring and tossing the mushroom mixture as you go. If you prefer your steak well done, give it an extra minute or 2.
4. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
5. Turn the steaks over and pour in the cream and chives. Tilt the pan slightly (away from you) and pour in the brandy at the far end. Now turn up the heat to high so that the brandy ignites. Swirl the sauce around in the pan and turn off the heat.
6. Put the medallions on 4 plates, pour over the sauce and serve.

12 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

Lori, those are great looking mushrooms and I'm sure the steak was great to eat.

Unknown said...

Lori, your steak looks yummy and I'm sure it was...

Hungry Gal said...

I love Steak Diane. Wow and so easy. We'll have to do this one up the next we have red meat for dinner.

Shawndra said...

Well, I'm disappointed that the flambe' didn't work for you, but the steak looks like it turned out wonderfully!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

LOL, totally cracked up at your "oooh, Fire!"

I printed this recipe out.....LOVE mushrooms. To be honest I'm doing it for the 'srooms!
~ingrid

grace said...

i've stopped playing with fire in my kitchen--it just gets dangerous. :)
this looks great, but who's diane? :)

kat said...

We didn't get fire either but oh it tasted good.

Murasaki Shikibu said...

"There is something so primal about torching your food."

Totally agree. :D

I'm sure it tasted great, and next time please try using a match (a long one) instead. Torching your food with a lighter is kind of scary. :p

The Blonde Duck said...

I love steak!

Temperance said...

shame about the flame, it was fun, I had to use a match to light mine so by all means try again!

Zurin said...

Wow this looks good! I love steak and this looks tryable!

Debyi said...

Your steak looks great! Those mushrooms look yummy. I had to use a match to light mine, I didn't want to mess up my in-laws stove by tipping mine pan & accidentally pouring brandy into the gas burner.