Sunday, April 26, 2009

Some words on loss and HAMburgers


The past couple months have been a roller coaster ride for one of my dear friends. She lost her brother-in-law suddenly and her Mother suddenly. Just how exactly do you move through that pain? My heart goes out to her and her family. I reach out my hands to her and as I do I think to myself: We are all there where you are, whether it is in this moment or in another moment but we all walk that road. It is of course part of our humanity. I never know what to say, so for the most part I don't say anything. What words can console? Nothing really. There is nothing to be said and words seems so trite. I make myself available and help in whatever way I can but yet I still feel so helpless and unhelpful. I say prayers and although I am not a religious person, I try to focus my love on that person, hoping somehow that can be helpful to them. That is about the best I can do.

I bring this up because I stopped by Crescent's blog, "Nothing is wasted on the writer", which I just adore and my only regret is that there is not something written daily. I love to read her words. So heartfelt and true. So eloquent and captivating. You can read what I just read here. And the post before it is exceptional as well.

I made these HAMburgers a couple weeks ago adn we really enjoyed them. They crumble easily, be patient and work delicately with the mixture and there will be some cohesiveness.

HAMburgers with Peas

2 cups chopped ham, very fine chop
1 teaspoon mustard
2 eggs
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 medium onion, chopped and sauteed
1 clove garlic, minced and sauteed
1 tablespoon olive oil plus more for frying
1/2 cup peas, crushed a little, leaving some whole
pepper to taste

Combine ham, mustard, eggs and bread crumbs in a bowl. Set aside. Saute onion and garlic until softened and cool a bit. Add the onions and garlic to the ham mixture. Form into patties and fry in oil. If you want to use less oil you can. You can finish these burgers in the oven at 350F to complete the cooking process.

6 comments:

Bunny said...

I know Lori, you feel they're pain and feel helpless. You are doing just what you're suppose to . Be there when she needs you, your a good friend.

kat said...

It is tough to know what another person going through a hard time needs. All you can do it make yourself available & listen to what they say.

Shelly said...

Over the years I have received cards from friends when I lost a loved one...a few kind words written on a card can truly be a wonderful thing. When I've looked through the cards at a later date the words don't seem so remarkable...but at the time they are so very comforting.

Maria said...

You are a great friend. Hang in there!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Lori, our friends know how we feel and understand how we express ourselves. You are a very good friend. Don't be so hard on yourself.
You make yourself available to people and that probably is the greatest gift of all.

grace said...

i think you're doing exactly what needs to be done.
on a brighter note, i love this idea for a pea-cake, and it's a cute name too.