Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Whopper in Progress

I saw this recipe for a cookie called a whopper. The original recipe began here. I put it all together and was excited about a healthy cookie that was also gluten free. I could share it with others if it was a good one. But alas, it was tastey, but extremely crumbly. In the end I think I figured out why.

Here's the progression.

First batch of cookies were crumbly so I added 1 cup of flour to the remaining dough.

They had better texture but still were crumbly.

Then it dawned on me that the melted butter may have had something to do with it. (If you are gluten free you may want to make this recipe without the flour because I think the butter was the true culprit.)

This time they came out WAY better. Tastey, pretty healthy, and most importantly- cohesive. ahhhh.

Whopper (adjusted)

1 cup butter
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 white sugar
3 eggs, room temp
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups of Jif peanut butter
4 cups Old Fashioned Oats
2 cups oat bran
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 cups raisins
1 (12 oz) package chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F. Cream butter and sugars together. Add peanut butter, mix well. Add eggs one at a time. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and add to creamed mixture. Finally add raisins and chocolate chips. Place on greased baking sheet in large balls, flatten a little. Bake for fifteen minutes.

I am sending these yummy whopper of a cookie over to Click for their event. Click Cookies. Click on the announcement below to join in.

9 comments:

Bunny said...

It looks good Lori, I'm glad you were able to figure out the crumb problem!

Murasaki Shikibu said...

So how was the melted butter the culprit?

(I'm a baking noob so I don't get it)/

grace said...

good googa mooga, i'll bet that made a lot of cookies, even if they were massive (as all cookies should be). :)

kat said...

Oh Matt would adore these

Lori said...

Bunny- we did. The first ones, altough crumby, were still quite good.

Murasaki- I have noticed when I have made cookies before with melted butter, they tend to be a crumbly type of cookie. Quote: "By using melted butter, rather than softened, you have unknowingly changed the composition of the cookie and this will fail to provide structure for the baking cookie." This was the best answer I could find.

Grace- the batch was indeed pretty huge-googa-mooga!

Kat- make em! My husband lvoed them. They were akin to a granola cookie

Anonymous said...

They sound a lot like my Monster Cookie recipe. SOOOOOOOOO good, the combo of Peanut Butter and Oatmeal is true genius in my book!

Anonymous said...

I don't want to come off as rude or anything, but in no way could that recipe be construed as "pretty healthy". It's full of refined sugars and hydrogenated oils, and even the oats can't make up for it.

Oh well, I suppose one can always pretend.

bee said...

thank you for a delicious click entry.

Lori said...

Tainted Chick: Healthier than some, junkier than others.

Bee: thank you. I always love looking at your site. A beauty to behold.