Sunday, October 4, 2009

Cheaper Earthy Chips


Without naming names, because "those" vegetable chips are pretty darn good, I will say you can make better ones yourself. All you need is some masterful knife skills or a mandoline. I love when I recreate something at home that I overpaid for at a store. It makes me feel so accomplished in a geeky, cheap kind of way. Or should I say frugal. I have done these kind of chips with sweet potato, potato and carrot. All very yuumy.

When you eat a lot of beets, remember, certain bodily functions will produce red results. Don't be alarmed and call your doctor right away. It should subside in 24 hours or so.

For beets- here is the process:

5 medium beets
salt

Cut tops off of the beets and place in a saucepan, covering with water. Bring to a boil and cook until beets become tender. Remove from water, let cool, enough to handle. Peel the skin off of the beet. Slice thinkly or slice with a mandoline. Place ona sprayed baking sheet, with none overlapping. Bake in a 425F oven until chips become somewhat golden or darkened. Remove and let cool.

Alternately, you can do this in a microwave in small batches as well. Heating and checking frequently until the chips become browned. I have heard that heating things int he microwave causes a loss of nutrients.

10 comments:

Craft Tea Lady said...

Mmmmm.... have you tried other veggies to make chips with?

Sadly, they used to carry THE BEST veg chips at Costco (not the ones they are trying to pass off on us now) and we ADORED THEM! Blasted Costco, getting us hooked on something and then pulling the rug out from under us like that. LOL!

www.xanga.com/crafttealady

Murasaki Shikibu said...

I love vegetable chips and you're right about them being horribly expensive too. I've been making sweet potato chips but your beet ones look heavenly! :)

kat said...

Do these come out crisp? I've had the hardest time with baked beet chips. They come out crisp but then get soft in minutes.

Lori said...

Kat- Yes, they were crisp. When you first take them out, some of them are not as crisp but as soon as they cool off they are totally crispy.

Katy ~ said...

Love the veggie chips. Haven't bought them in ages because of the expense. Now why didn't I think of baking them. Very clever, frugal and delicious!

maybelle's mom said...

I just did these in the microwave with sweet potatoes and some wacky squash. My daughter loved them.

Maria said...

These are my kind of chips!

kat said...

Ok, I will definitely try these again the using your directions

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Guess what I just finished a bag of those chips that shall remain nameless! Very cool that now if I want to I can totally make my own. You're so right at $5 a bag they are groslly over priced which is why I hardly ever buy them.

Thanks for sharing, Lori!
~ingrid

Unknown said...

Yum, beet chips! I bet they were sooo good. Smart to give that warning, there would have been a rash of blogger running to the doctor this weekend :)