Wednesday, October 7, 2009

My oh My, Sit Down for some Veggie Pie

Just a couple days I posted the potato crust, veggie tart. It's good. But really this pie blows that veggie pie out of the water. That's not to say that I wouldn't make the veggie tart again because in fact I make it at least a couple times every summer. But this little experimentation, granted a fairly simple experimentation, yielded a tasty pie that disappeared before my eye. (oh, c'mon, I couldn't resist the rhyme).

I spend the entire summer pining for fresh zucchini, tomatoes and eggplant to start. Then I have them in my hand, and I am like duh, what should I do now. I need a calendar with pockets so I can slip the recipes into the pockets of the month when that particular recipe should be made. This time I came up with my own little winner.

Harvest Zucchini, Tomato and Eggplant Pie

Crust components:
2 cups of rice, cooked
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup Peccorino Romano (my cheese of choice but you can use Parmesan as well)

1 eggplant, thinly cut and roasted
3-4 good sized tomatoes
4 oz or so shredded cheddar

Combine crust components and pack into the bottom of a greased 10 inch spring form pan. Lay thinly sliced tomatoes over the crust, overlapping as you go. Next place roasted eggplant over the tomatoes, followed by another round of tomatoes on top. Sprinkle with cheese.

Bake uncovered in a 350 oven. Let set for about ten minutes. Run knife around sides and remove sides of pan.

*Add herbs to rice crust for extra flavor.

23 comments:

kat said...

Such a great use of all those veggies & I love the idea of a rice crust.

Donna-FFW said...

Oh My Lori! This just looks fantastic, fantastic, fantastic!

Frenchie said...

I have never seen a rice-crust pie. This looks so interesting, I wonder what it would be like with brown rice?

Unknown said...

Bake for how long? I have to have some! Thanks. Uncle Sal

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Wow this does sound good...and it's different too. I love the way you used rice here. I guess I've mentioned enough times that I'm always looking for more ways to get rid of leftover rice. ;)

Lori said...

Frenchie- I bet it would be great with a brown rice crust.

Salvatore- I baked it for about 45 minutes. I am sorry I cant remember exactly. I looked at the tomatoes and when they looked a little dehydrated I quit baking. Everything is already cooked except for the tomatoes so it was matter of heating and setting the egg.

Bunny said...

Lori that looks so darn good! I love the fresh tomato and cheese!

Screamin' Mama said...

That looks fabulous! My mouth is watering. I'm always looking for tasty and vegetarian dishes to serve when my sister-in-law visits.

Unknown said...

This is a very nice twist on traditional persian cooking. Rice crust, or 'Tadic' is very typical..plus teh use of tomatos and eggplant..pretty cool.

Lucy..♥ said...

Over the top! Just loving this pie Lori! It so happens that I have leftover rice that needs to be used, and this would be just perfect!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I'm digging the rice crust but I gotta say I'm just not keen on anything with tomatoes. Sad I know especially when my children will eat them.
~ingrid

Unknown said...

Thanks for the quick reply, Lori. I made extra rice tonight to go with my Ga Kho (caramelized chicken) just so I could have the left over to bake this pie tomorrow night.

Uncle Sal

Lori said...

Darius- I have never heard of that, now I have something to research.

Ingrid- Oh man! tomatoes to me are like the bread of life.

Salvatore- That is smart thinking and planning.

grace said...

you're all over this savory garden creation thing! this is my favorite so far--Iiadore both eggplant AND zucchini, and the tomatoes make it so lovely. great job!

NikiTheo said...

This looks fantastic! I am definite bookmarking this one!
Did you use plain white rice? Do you think this would work with brown rice or couscous or quinoa? I'm not a huge white rice person, but this looks like a dream!!!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a wonderful way to use vegetables. This looks fantastic.p

Lori said...

Nikitheo- I bet it would work with all of those. I think I would particularly like to try the quinoa one.

steven said...

Lori...Wow---HI!!!
This recipe looks so verrry good.
I am going to try this this weekend with my wife, for sure!
Steven (out by Eastview Mall)

Katy ~ said...

This sounds so good! Would be very appropriate for people who must be gluten free as well.

Temperance said...

I can see why it disapeared. it looks absolutely scrumptious

test it comm said...

Nice looking veggie pie! I like the rice crust!

Lori said...

Hi Steven- out by Eastview Mall! What a small world. It's funny because in the blogging world everyone seems so far away that you are surprised when you see someone local.

Unknown said...

Seriously Lori, this sounds amazing. Awesome creation. I am so google starring this to make one day.