Friday, April 2, 2010

Minestra


We called my Grandmother (the Italian one), Nonni (pronounced by us, nah-nee). This is one of her soups that I distinctly remember when I was growing up. This and pastina were the number ones. Really, I couldn't stand this soup when I was a kid. Something about the pepperoni just gave it this flavor that turned me right off. Now, being older and wiser (at least I'd like to think so), I love it. It's really a good for your soul kind of soup.


Nonni's Minestra

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, minced
1 pound escarole, washed thoroughly, chopped and cooked seperately if bitter
1 can of canneloni beans
2 quarts chicken broth
2 garlic cloves minced
1 1/2 cups diced potatoes
1 1/2 cups chopped pepperoni (peel outside skin off the pepperoni) or cooked sausage

Saute onion in olive oil and heat until onion is transluscent. Add garlic, cook one minute more.  Add broth, beans, pepperoni, escarole and potatoes, cover and simmer until potatoes have tenderized. When the potatoes are tender it's ready to serve.  The flavor doubles overnight.

Bench Notes:
If you don't want a lot of grease from the pepperoni you can saute it in a frying pan and drain, then add to the soup. It also makes it more tasty.
This soup is delicious without any meat really.

7 comments:

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Nonnis are the best and know whats what especially when it comes to yummy food.

Happy Easter. Hope you and the family have a blessed one.
~ingrid

Debbie said...

I love soups.... Nonni's looks great.

vanillasugarblog said...

yes! i would LOVE some of this. adore italian homemade soups.

happy easter!

Mimi said...

This looks like comfort food, delicious and nourishing, something Nonni's are really good at making. I loved my Nonni's bread soup.
Happy Easter!
Mimi

grace said...

i can see why this would appeal more to your adult self--kids are so darn persnickety!

hungryandfrozen said...

Ooh, those ingredients sound good - perfect for a wintry evening. Your blog is looking gorgeous by the way - love the new background :D

kat said...

This would be one the hubs would love!