Thursday, April 8, 2010

Turkey Pot Pies

I have been crafting.  Crafting, crafting and crafting.  I am finally working on/finishing a quilt that I started for my daughter a couple years ago.  Its so easy for time to fly in regards to a  project.  You set it down and whoa a year passes, then another, then another and before you know it you are looking at a very old project that you probably lost interest in years ago or is completely outdated.  At the beginning of this year, maybe even a few months before that, I made a decision to start using up what I had.  I am collecting things for a garage sale, stuff I dont use.  I am finishing projects.  I am in FULL declutter mode and am loving it.  I am happy to say that I have cleared a few things (crafts) and started a blog called "Craftication".

The dough on these pies is really good. I can see why Rebecca Rather sells out! Very delicious. It makes a lot. I made some for company and froze a few for quick meals.

All-Sold Out Turkey Pot Pies
adapted from Rebecca Rather’s, “The Pastry Queen”

Yield: 6 servings
Filling:
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium-size yellow onion, chopped
1 large russet potato, peeled and diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups cooked turkey, chopped
8 ounces fresh green peas
1 cup chopped carrots
Sauce:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (optional)
Dash of hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco
Salt and freshly ground white pepper

Crust:
1 cup (2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter
3 cups all-purpose flour
8 ounces chilled cream cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
1 large egg

To Make The Filling: Melt the butter in a large sauté pan set over medium heat. Add the onion and potato; sauté for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and bell pepper,  sauté about 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Stir in the crushed red pepper and add salt and pepper to taste.
While the vegetables are sautéing, prepare the turkey, cutting into bite-size pieces. Place the carrots in a microwave-safe bowl and add enough water to cover. Cover the dish and microwave on high power about 10 minutes, until the carrots are crisp-tender. Drain thoroughly. Stir the carrots, peas, and chicken into the vegetable mixture. Set the filling aside.

To Make The Sauce: Melt the butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Whisk in the chicken stock and cook the sauce over medium heat until it thickens to the consistency of a cream soup. Add the cream, hot pepper sauce, and salt and white pepper to taste. Pour the cream sauce over the chicken filling and stir to combine. Fill individual 1 1/4-cup capacity oven-safe bowls three-quarters of the way to the top with the creamed chicken filling.

To Make The Crust: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Cut the butter into 16 pieces. In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade, pulse the butter and flour until crumbly. Add the cream cheese, salt, and white pepper. Continue pulsing just until the dough forms a ball.


Set the dough on a flat surface dusted with flour. I used my cereal bags. Use a floured rolling pin to roll the dough out to 1/4-inch thickness. Measure the diameter of the pot pie bowls- I used ramekins- and cut out dough rounds that are 1 1/2 inches larger in diameter. Whisk the egg in a small bowl. Lay the dough rounds on top of the pot pies, making sure the dough hangs evenly over each bowl. Brush the dough lightly with the beaten egg. Bake the pies for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown. Serve immediately.

10 comments:

Kathleen said...

I soooo love the Pastry Queens book. This pot pie looks fliipin fabulous!

Shelly said...

If I ever get a kitchen back these are on the list! I just noticed your recipe box on the side of your blog....very cool! Now it will be really easy for me to find my faves...thanks Lori ;)

grace said...

i love me some pot pie, mostly because of the crust. i haven't seen cream cheese used in a savory batch of pie dough before, but i'm all for it!

kat said...

Really is there anything much better than a good pot pie! Ok going over to check your craft blog now.

The Blonde Duck said...

There's nothing better than a pot pie.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I am so NOT crafty. I want to be but I have zero patience for it.

I'll be hop skipping over to your new blog!
~ingrid

Barbara Bakes said...

I love how your dough hangs over the side of the cup. Don't want to waste a bit of that flaky goodness!

suvi said...

This pie looks absolutely perfect! Didn't know you could use cream cheese in the crsut.

My first time here, you have a very nice collection of recipes here. Loved browsing thru, and esp loved your post on perfection. That was some..ahem...food for thought for me!

Taste of Beirut said...

Lori

That is one beautiful dish! the dough reminds me of the rugelah dough it must be really flaky and tender!

Katy ~ said...

Adding this to my stash. I so love a pot pie and this sounds perfect.