Wednesday, July 21, 2010

White Sangria with Raspberries and Strawberries

I love a nice glass of pinot noir or reisling from time to time.  I like a glass of red wine too once in a while.  Nothing dry though.  I certainly would not call myself a wine snob and I am by no means well versed in the wine department.  Or really in the liquor department at all. Except maybe a REAL margarita occasionally or a strawberry daiquiri.  So what I am about to say about sangria, keep in mind, I am hardly an expert.  What I am an expert of is what taste good to me. This here sangria that I made last May and one other time since has got to be the best sangria I have ever tasted.  I have made it a few times since then.  I have been wanting to try a white sangria for quite a while now.  Something about it just didn't catch me like a good merlot mixed with some pleasing tastes though.  I did it anyway.  It was pretty good.  It wasn't slammin' but it was pleasant and went down pretty easily. Would I make it again?  Eh, I think I probably would- the right bottle of wine- the right fruits laying around... it could happen.  But really if you want a slammin' sangria, click here for the winner.

White Sangria

8 cups chardonnay*, if I had it I would have went with zinfandel
2 cups sliced strawberries
2 cups simple syrup
1/2 cup raspberry puree

Combine all and chill overnight so it has time for the flavors to develop.

*The chardonnay I used was not particularly oak-ey.  I would defintely go with a zinfandel or some light, fruity wine.

I would have liked to put some brandy in this... next time.


kat said...

I can see a fruitier wine helping with that, maybe a green wine from spain.

Ingrid said...

Looks good...refreshing! If I drank that's one I'd reach for.

The Blonde Duck said...

This reminds me of Legally Blond when Elle says, "I'm making sangria. It's really yummy."

Fresh Local and Best said...

I'm not a sangria expert, the recipe list looks good though and it sounds very refreshing.

grace said...

there are precious few alcoholic beverages that i enjoy, and sangria is one of 'em. i think the raspberry puree is a wonderful component here, and it's absolutely beautiful!

Mary said...

How gorgeous! I love sangria and this looks perfect. I hope you are having the best of days. Blessings...Mary

smoochkins said...

Hey, I wanna share your recipe with my friends in Foodista, I hope you won't mind? Just add the foodista widget for Zinfanel , and that should do it! I'm no expert really when it comes to wines but I'm just starting to love it and im still in my exploration stage. :D Found this post interesting, keep on sharing! Cheers, Amy from Australia

Mimi said...

A nice fruity summmer drink.

Mrsjeff said...

I have made one with a Muscato wine and put peaches, oranges and limes in it. Used simple syrup and it was very refreshing. Also when you serve it add a little club soda to it for some sparkle.

Related Posts with Thumbnails