Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Weight Watcher Wednesday: Pecan Waffles


Yup- pecan waffles.  Fabulous and delicious.

I made a batch on Sunday last week when my daughter had a friend sleeping over our house.  The next morning I made these waffles.  They were gobbled up pretty quickly. 

I made them again on Monday so I could freeze them for some quick toaster breakfasts for the week.  I realized when I went to make them on Monday that I completely omitted one major ingredient... butter.  Yeah, I know.  Like a stick of it.  Yup.  They were good without it.  Toasted up nice so I made the second batch without it too- this time on purpose.  With a stick of butter being gone, it completely changed the calorie count.  They are about at 95 calories a piece.  Depending on how big your waffle iron is.  We ended up with 13 of them.  If you used the stick of butter- it almost doubles the calories.

Pecan Waffles

Based largely on this recipe from King Arthur Flour's Baking Companion. 

1 3/4 cup all purpose, unbleached flour
12 ounces ( 1 1/2 cups) buttermilk
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup pecan meal

Mix dry ingredients.  In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients.  Mix the two together.  Pour by half cup fulls into waffle pan.  Mine took 3.30 minutes to get done. 

3 comments:

ann low said...

Thank you for sharing this easy recipe. I'd love to try this for morning breakfast too :)

cocoa and coconut said...

Sounds so good! And a bonus that it's low calorie!

grace said...

pecan meal! what a great ingredient to toss into some waffles. nice one, lori. :)