Monday, August 18, 2014

Blueberry Sauce

This year we went out picking blueberries twice.  Well, to be honest, I think we go out at least twice every year.  For the past 7 years we have made a big even of it.  We would pick berries and then head to the park near by and have a picnic.  There was a little splash area that the kids loved to play in.  Down the street there was even a place for the kids to ride a few kiddie rides.  It was all 25 cents a ride- run by volunteers.  You can read more about it here.

This year, however, my parents are both not feeling up to picking blueberries because of recent health concerns.  My husband could not go because he had to work.  So my kids, my brother and sister in law and I went there on a mission, strictly to pick blueberries.  They would be heading off with their pickings to TN.

My Mother was feeling a little better the following week so we headed back to pick berries.  I actually felt it was a little better the day my Mom and I went alone with the kids.  That was on August 1st.  All the fruits and vegetables were kind of late this year because it was a bit colder here. 

Since my daughter likes blueberry sauce on her pancakes, I made some blueberry syrup. I liked it and she liked it.  I just wish it has more blueberries in it.

BLUEBERRY SAUCE
Ball is my "go to" source for canned goods.  Though I do follow some others, they are my favorite.  Since everyone has been more into canning they have developed even more recipes to suit todays tastes.

Link to recipe

8 cups blueberries, crushed (about 3-1/2 lb)
6 cups water, divided
1 Tbsp lemon zest
3 cups granulated sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
3 (16 oz) pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands





  1. COMBINE blueberries, 2 cups of the water and lemon zest in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat and boil gently for 5 minutes.
  2. TRANSFER to a dampened jelly bag or a strainer lined with several layers of cheesecloth set over a deep bowl. Let drip, undisturbed, for at least 2 hours.
  3. PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
  4. COMBINE sugar and remaining 4 cups water in a clean large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar, and cook until temperature reaches 230°F, adjusting for altitude. Add blueberry juice. Increase heat to high, bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
  5. LADLE hot Blueberry Syrup into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
  6. PROCESS jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
 Pretty aren't they?

 Bountiful!

No comments: